Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

More old things
Lens: Pentax A 50mm F2 Camera: *istDS Photo Location: Melbourne 

Some more pictures taken while exploring my local area.

Empty shopfronts:

Rusting Kombi:

The Hotel California (an abandoned Hotel)

All criticism welcome (and encouraged!), especially when it comes to composition.
Thanks.

08-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

Nice.

Shot 4 and 5 are too dark, No.5 more so. There is plenty of detail to be revealed in 5.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 02-16-2013 at 01:50 AM.
08-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I still have the original un-processed images at home, so I may try a different edit with #5, leaving it somewhat brighter. (I darkened it quite a bit on the computer, but your version looks rather more balanced)

Thank you for the comments.
09-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Some more pictures taken while exploring my local area.
I hope your local area isn't entirely like this.

I find #4 the most successful of this set. It has a strong visual theme of recurring squares (the large metal door, the central section of the fence, the windows) and good off-center framing suggesting things out of the frame that we can't see. On a smaller scale there are interesting patterns in the corrugated metal and the fence. There's also the absurdity of all this junk protected by a barbed-wire fence. I like the high contrast and don't consider it too dark; we don't need to see every detail here.

#2 is promising, with the tree as both a nice framing element and also a thematic contrast with the ruined building (also picked up in the flowering shrub). The weeping wet wall is also good. However, the large greenhouse windows with their rather lackadaisical graffiti are not so interesting.

#1 and #3 share a couple of problems; both are level along the top but not elsewhere (from perspective distortion), and the framing makes this very apparent and distracting. #1 is the stronger image of the two, with more interesting textures, graffiti, lighting, composition, and the old legitimate sign painting contrasting with the graffiti.

#5 #6 and #7 include too many elements and so lose impact. #8 is a good idea but doesn't reveal enough about the blurry background.

09-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I really like the "reception" photo. Nicely composed.
09-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Baro-nite:

No, not all of my local area is like this, the shops and factories are in an old industrial area that by the looks of it is slowly dieing.
The Motel is a few suburbs over and is basically the result of a stalemate between the owner, and the local council.
The owner wants the council to approve his application to build a development of aged care homes there, however the council won't allow him. As a result, he refuses to dismantle the abandoned hotel (which is what the council and the residents want to happen) until he gets approval for the new devlopment.

Anyway, to the photo parts.

re: shopfronts and distortion:
When I was adjusting levels etc on the computer I noticed this, I did use the software to level off the horisontals (generally using the top row of bricks)
Are there any general rules of thumb to follow here? ie: would it be better to get the verticals correct rather than the horisontals?
are there any tips on reducing the distortion (I honestly didn't think the 50mm had any until I took these shots)

Photos 5, 6, 7:
Any recommendations for next time, should I perhaps focus my attention more on individual components (or areas of similar graffiti) rather than on individual buildings?
09-03-2012, 04:33 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Re distortion, this is perspective distortion and not lens distortion. It's mainly noticeable because of the way you have framed the shots, with lines of bricks close to the edges. To eliminate it you can either apply perspective correction in PP (in which case you will have to crop tighter after the PP, to get a rectangular image again), or take the shot with the camera aimed straight at the wall (i.e., camera sensor parallel to the wall). [Or use a shift lens, or a view camera.]

Re my comments on 5-7: to be compelling an image needs to draw the viewer's eye into the visual world the image represents. It helps to have a definite "hook" as a starting point, some interesting detail or visual point of entry. "Alleyway" has that to some degree, the dark foreground leading strongly to the center of the image, but the top half of the image doesn't really match this; from the center there's really nowhere compelling to go. Possibly there is a more interesting shot by advancing farther along the alley, getting down near the ground and shooting wide angle, aiming somewhat upward. That would exaggerate the perspective distortion of the alley and reduce the amount of visual clutter.

"Reception" looks like a crop or telephoto shot, and the flattened perspective rather works against the angle you've chosen for the front of the building. Again, getting close with a wide angle lens would make for a very different image. (Perhaps you can't get that close because of the fence?) "Rooms" is more effective, with the angled line of the roof giving a strong line, the greenery reinforcing the sense of urban decay, and some interesting textures. Just needs a closer perspective or a stronger "story" element at the right end.