Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kid Cliche?
Lens: Yashinon 1.8 50mm Camera: Yashica Photo Location: Vancouver 

I took this awhile ago, and while I liked the picture, others have not responded with any enthusiasm. So I am wondering what faults I am not seeing. Is it just because these kid pictures (and sunsets) are too common to invoke much interest? At the same time, I have seen pictures I would have discarded receive raves, and wonder if they simply get attention because they are so "different".

This picture was on Kodachrome about 1977, taken with a Yashica Lynx 5000

Sorry, but unable to upload the image despite shrinking it down to 630x690.

09-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Obviously, can't judge - but I can comment. Sometimes it's a question of who has time and what their personal taste is. I frequently comment on images that grab my attention, or make me say "I wish I'ed taken that" or such. But you're right, it does seem that some look for "different" images, rather than more common types.
All I can suggest is that you keep trying, post images you like, and don't take it too personally if you don't get lots of comments or get negative comments.
Hope to see some of your stuff soon.
09-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jford Quote
Obviously, can't judge - but I can comment. Sometimes it's a question of who has time and what their personal taste is. I frequently comment on images that grab my attention, or make me say "I wish I'ed taken that" or such. But you're right, it does seem that some look for "different" images, rather than more common types.
All I can suggest is that you keep trying, post images you like, and don't take it too personally if you don't get lots of comments or get negative comments.
Hope to see some of your stuff soon.
Good points. We all tend to look only at what interests us, and that is usually something different or unusual. With the explosion of (phone) cameras, everything is now photographed to the point that little is unusual anymore.
Many excellent photos I have seen have attracted little attention, yet some, which are so bad that I can't make out what it's about, get a string of accolades. These are other peoples pictures I am referring to, so I have no axe to grind, just a puzzlement of esthetic values.