Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kid Cliche?
Lens: Yashinon 1.8 50mm Camera: Yashica Photo Location: Vancouver 

I took this awhile ago, and while I liked the picture, others have not responded with any enthusiasm. So I am wondering what faults I am not seeing. Is it just because these kid pictures (and sunsets) are too common to invoke much interest? At the same time, I have seen pictures I would have discarded receive raves, and wonder if they simply get attention because they are so "different".

This picture was on Kodachrome about 1977, taken with a Yashica Lynx 5000

Sorry, but unable to upload the image despite shrinking it down to 630x690 and 76 KB.(very frustrating)
I will have to use my Flicker image http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeomaster32/7807561258/

Last edited by arnold; 09-03-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: No picture
09-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #2

Adorable kid pic - what a great expression! For Kodachrome which has a very strong 'red' presence, this isn't a bad photo, but by today's standards it appears too red and somewhat underexposed. Both of these minor issues could easily be corrected in most image processing software however.
Very nice gallery BTW!
09-03-2012, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by glennbp Quote
by today's standards it appears too red and somewhat underexposed. Both of these minor issues could easily be corrected in most image processing software however.
That's about right. It took some effort to fully appreciate her expression: if she'd been facing toward the light, it would have more apparent.
09-03-2012, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Adorable!, but, oh, it's unfortunately so dark. And you have a cluttered background. A white surface of some sort would have bounced some light back at her face. It's possible you might lighten things a bit with Photoshop. I'm sure it would be possible for a skilled photoshopper to get rid of the 'stuff' on the right beside her face...
It reminds me of the hours my mom spent trying to do stuff like this with me...

09-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Technically you all have valid comments. Of course the context here was getting an active kid to pause a long enough time to get a snapshot. I don't remember what I said to her to elicit the expression, but when I saw it; 'click'. One is limited by the position and lighting of the moment. Two things I like about this picture are the expression, and the clarity, despite the above mentioned faults.
What I don't understand is why this: Kodak Retinette 1961 B & W 1961-63_0025 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! , one of my worst, full of flaws, gains more attention. To return to my original question, are some pictures too much of a cliche?
09-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
are some pictures too much of a cliche?
I'd say yes but ask 25 people what's a cliche and what's not and you'll get a wide range of opinions. I don't think the kid is any more a cliche than that street scene.
09-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Technically you all have valid comments. Of course the context here was getting an active kid to pause a long enough time to get a snapshot. I don't remember what I said to her to elicit the expression, but when I saw it; 'click'. One is limited by the position and lighting of the moment. Two things I like about this picture are the expression, and the clarity, despite the above mentioned faults.
What I don't understand is why this: Kodak Retinette 1961 B & W 1961-63_0025 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! , one of my worst, full of flaws, gains more attention. To return to my original question, are some pictures too much of a cliche?
We know the struggles that go into photographing our children. Choosing, dressing, combing, fighting. Come camera time they're surly hungry mad. You get a good shot of one, whom you love, and it leaps out at you. But without the backstory, without the love, with out the tens or hundreds of deletes, it isn't that surprising it doesn't leap out at a viewing stranger. Yours is a precious shot, but she's not mine.

09-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
She is not mine either, but I suppose what you say about 'ownership' holds a lot of truth. I have spent quite a bit of time on Flicker trying to grasp what it is about some photos that appeals to people, and one thing is becoming clear. As with art or tattoos, your sense of life and values determine your emotional response. Some beautiful pictures don't hold much interest for many (such as sunsets), probably because they are so common. A picture needs to tell a story for it to become interesting as well as beautiful.
09-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

it is a nice shot of a kid. but that's it, nothing more.
That said, it has tons of potential, if you would PP a bit more. Draken shadows a bit maybe, (and yes try to get rid of the too much red too), lighten her up a bit. And dodge the eyes, so the white will be more white and it will shine more.