Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Street shot
Lens: 50mm Camera: FF 

Cheeky street photo from Spain. Shot on 35mm film, 50mm lens, scan from print. Technical settings are a guess. Thoughts welcome.

09-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The "ghost" child in the left corner is the only part of the photo I don't like
Fantastic b/w street shot. Great atmosphere, the combination of light and shadows is like a dream, in an almost clear frame.
09-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

not enough contrast for my taste
09-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
A beautiful street shot. The "ghost child" in my opinion adds an element of interest and tension.

09-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gracias. Others welcome
09-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
not enough contrast for my taste
I agree....

Last edited by wildman; 09-17-2012 at 09:31 PM.
09-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #7

I agree with the others that in the original there isn't enough contrast. For me personally this photo would make a much stronger abstract without any people present, the walls and shadow make for a wonderful composition by themselves. Now my eye keeps being drawn to the two children in the shot, but they are both out of focus, making them more of a distraction than anything. Also, forgive me for saying it - but the motion blur on the child on the left, and the way he's cropped, just makes it look accidental rather than him and the effect being included on purpose.

09-16-2012, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #8

The picture was familiar but to be honest only after street shot II I remembered it.
So most of us can't recognize a masterpiece unless there is a label naming the artist. Is this your point Camus?
Or that even in a masterpiece there are weak points ?

Anyway even as a joke it's not a bad one

Last edited by tsakatsaka; 09-16-2012 at 05:50 AM.
09-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tsakatsaka Quote
The picture was familiar but to be honest only after street shot II I remembered it.
So most of us can't recognize a masterpiece unless there is a label naming the artist. Is this your point Camus?
Or that even in a masterpiece there are weak points ?

Anyway even as a joke it's not a bad one
You're onto it! Not the first time something like this has been done, the second image I posted (much more well known than this one I think) was put into a flickr group to be voted on as a keeper or trash, where it was widely panned by unfamiliar viewers.

Interpret how you will, but for me it raises a few things, like:

- Do we judge photographs differently if they are seen a common environment, as opposed to, for example, a MoMA exhibition, or a gallery-quality book.
- Do current photographically-interested people view much older work, or consider it less useful?
- In the flickr experiment it seemed many users who knew the image commended it more for who took it than their own interpretation, and attacked those who didn't know the image, despite the fact that:
- It seems to me to be vastly better to judge an image on the merits you see in it than in who created it, or the opinion of others.

Plenty of other issues raised I'm sure. Personally I love these images, and do think they are masterful, but (I'd like to think) it's based more on the composition/feeling than on the famous nature of the photographer.
09-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More comments/link here: The Online Photographer: Cartier-Bresson Booted from Flickr
09-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #11

I'm not really a Bresson fan although that's just an excuse, I've seen the photo a hundred times. At least I liked the image and my critique wasn't a negative one.
IMHO even masterpieces have weak point and there are photos of masters that I don't like. Of course I'm just an amateur viewer so my critique is amateur also but even now after remembering my critique is the same
Henri crop the "ghost" child
I hope I didn't destroyed your experiment with the second one but I felt embarrassed not recognizing this one

BTW I love your work you should post a little more of your own photos.

Regards
Giorgos
09-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #12

I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't recognize the shot (I AM a fan of Cartier-Bresson). I am pleased that I really liked the photo. This was an interesting exercise...imagine how some of the newer masters of photography might fare. IMHO, sometimes 'the emperor has no clothes' but Henri is a true master.
10-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
IMO, this is one of his weaker shots. The bike photo posted on flickr is a much stronger image.