Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First attempt portrait with new lights

Well some of the lighting is new. I picked up a light stand, umbrella and strobe. So that was set up high to my right and to my left at about eye level (on a tripod) was an Af400T on Auto with a remote trigger and fired straight up to bounce. The rear lighting was a small remotely fired fill flash. I like the gear as it's very portable and if required, I can use it all on battery.

This was a series of test shots I took this afternoon and really didn't worry much about the setup or background. What I want to find out is how you like the lighting. My wife walked in the door and before she could take her coat off I had her seated to try the new setup. I wasn't concerned about the silver necklace either and if this was more formal, I would have had her change it and set up a proper backdrop.

So the question is about the lighting, colour etc. Any comments are welcome. Wedding season is upon us soon and I'll be shooting portraits for the announcements this weekend and next.

I wish the K10D had a PC socket though. It makes the use a little bit of a pain with the umbrella as the version I got uses a PC socket and that can be better as I don't have to worry about being in a spot a remote sensor might not fire. So I'll need to find a hotshoe to pc adapter. Any suggestions for that?

Last edited by Peter Zack; 02-18-2008 at 09:31 AM.
02-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #2

I just have a dinky little hot-shoe adapter from Ritz... I think it ran me like 10 bucks. I'm with you wishing the K10D had a PC socket but it appears as if the K20D will (not that I'm in the market for one). The hot-shoe adapters work nicely really. I was also able to set mine up such that the flash doesn't need a PC port either. They make Hot-Shoe adapters w/ a PC wire protruding from them. I just hacked the PC connector off of them and soldered the open wires to an extension cord... (I did this to two of them) and I ran all the extension cords into one of those 3-socket power adapters. Next I got a PC to Wall Socket cord (you can get that cheap too at any camera store) to go from the 3-socket power adapter to the PC port on the camera....

I put black tape all over the 3-socket adapter though so nobody plugs the thing into the wall!!!

It works really nice. I'm taking shots with that setup tonight and later this weekend so I'll have some up in the photo section later on.

Hope this is helpful!

For more info on my setup, got to Strobist and check out his DIY lighting setup sections... he's got a lot of good 'cheap' setup ideas.
02-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Peter, that are nice pictures but to my liking the lighting is a little flat. Maybe that small fill flash from the rear could be turned into a hair light. (You might have to make a small snoot for it) Anyway, just my thoughts for what they are worth.

Take care, Heinrich
02-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
paden501, That's about what I figured. Thanks, Any thoughts on the photo though?

Thanks Heinrich, I was thinking the same. The light behind may not be powerful enough or the white wall is absobing too much light. I have another AF400T that I can run on a remote sensor and just turn the power down a bit. Thanks for the advice.

02-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Peter, I have to agree with Heinrich on the lighting being a bit flat. It's nice and even...unfortunately almost too even.

NaCl(don't have a lot of ideas on what to do about it tho, other than what Heinrich suggested)H2O
02-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These would be a lot better if you had a more neutral background, even black that would not compete with the color of the model. Next bring up the light a bit more. It looks as if the light is coming from the wrong side. Reverse her hair style, bring the light around a little more to the right of this shot (the photo right not her right) and bring your camera around to the left a bit more without losing sight of both eyes. Next have the model look back toward you a bit more to add some interest. Change the jewelery so there isn't a flat highly reflective piece beneath her head as it is distracting. A more textured necklace would still complement her face/neck while not over drawing the eye to a bright spot. This almost looks like a candid shot instead of a planned shot.
02-04-2008, 01:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Peter. The shots are easy on the eyes.

However, there is eye shadows which might improve if you could have a reflector to provide some fill light.

It might be better if she could look at the camera as she seems to be directed to look to the left.

02-04-2008, 05:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I got some backdrop material and a stronger rear fill flash for the Saturday shots and you suggestions helped a lot. Still need to get better at it but it's always a work in progress. The comments were really helpful!