Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Tonight's editing progress/How to finish editing?
Lens: Tamron 70-300mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Nature 

A big part of the editing process thus far has been removing the loose strands of hair... I'll wrap that up and retouch it somewhat, but I want it to have somewhat of an old-time feel that's why I left it a bit desaturated and lighter, while dropping the contrast.

Other than removing hair, what suggestions would you guys have? I'll probably edit the eyes a bit, but not overly edit, as I often think eyes are over-touched (Something I've been guilty of myself!)

I also think I may add more of those wheat thickets or whatever they are in the background, particularly on the right side, so it is about as thick as the left side is in the background.

Other thoughts?

Thanks all! I'm still REALLY new to this retouching thing...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo   
09-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Other thoughts?
Forgive me, but retouching - as wonderful as it can be - comes after taking a satisfying picture. Obviously your mileage may vary, but to my eye a girl this beautiful in a setting this lovely deserves a better shot to begin with, where it is not her nose which is the most prominent element. From what I can see here, a 5 shift of her head to her right would have done the trick in this case...
09-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sure thing, and I agree completely. But this is a good shot for me to practice retouching, I believe, because there are a few fixable issues with it...
09-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, but I think you can retain saturation and lighten the shadows substantially using the curves, or even a shadow enhancing tool. To me the eyes need to be clear, and bright.

I agree with DevKom's comment about the overall situation, and unfortunately the lighting really does bring your attention to the girl's nose. by bringing up the shadows, while retaining contrast (as opposed to your desaturating the image, it is a much more pleasing shot, and you can see the eyes. In a portrait, the eye's really have it. A fill flash here would have been quite appropriate also

as for removing strands, I am not sure that is value added, you are in a field with long grass/ wheat, a little loose hair is not really as much of an issue as the issues relating to exposure.

09-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, but I think you can retain saturation and lighten the shadows substantially using the curves, or even a shadow enhancing tool. To me the eyes need to be clear, and bright.

I agree with DevKom's comment about the overall situation, and unfortunately the lighting really does bring your attention to the girl's nose. by bringing up the shadows, while retaining contrast (as opposed to your desaturating the image, it is a much more pleasing shot, and you can see the eyes. In a portrait, the eye's really have it. A fill flash here would have been quite appropriate also

as for removing strands, I am not sure that is value added, you are in a field with long grass/ wheat, a little loose hair is not really as much of an issue as the issues relating to exposure.
Part of the reason I desaturated a bit is because I really like the idea of having this be more of an old-timey looking photo. Not like sepia, but like 1980's-esk.

Thanks for all of your other helpful comments, though!
09-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Looking at this,

I am drawing blank. I need to play with it, and then we can work backwards if you like what I did. Let me know if you want me to do that.

By the way, I agree with the garbage in-garbage out view, in almost every case....There are exceptions where in order to do specific editing, the picture has to be under/over exposed to the point where the original looks crappy. In your particular image, the bits of light that went through to shine to her nose is a problem - but you already realized that
09-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Looking at this,

I am drawing blank. I need to play with it, and then we can work backwards if you like what I did. Let me know if you want me to do that.

By the way, I agree with the garbage in-garbage out view, in almost every case....There are exceptions where in order to do specific editing, the picture has to be under/over exposed to the point where the original looks crappy. In your particular image, the bits of light that went through to shine to her nose is a problem - but you already realized that
Feel free.
09-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

While I can understand why you might want to cast the face in shadow for creative reasons it is just too deep and muddy for such a lovely young lady...

Last edited by wildman; 11-08-2012 at 12:28 AM.
09-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wildman, I definitely think you have improved on it. It isn't so much that I was going for any particular thing or anything, it's more so just that she chose the wrong kind of footwear for where we were so we really only had a handful of shots, all in one location, with the sun in all of its maddening glory.

I'll give it another shot today if she let's me I may try some indoors since I haven't really done much of that lately.
09-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Ooh I like that work Wildman posted. I played with it, but can't get a better one than that.
The nose area is a problem - because whatever you do to boost the luminosity of the face up, the nose gets affected too. You'll have to do very careful masking around the nose if you wanna work on it.
09-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So what you guys are saying, I really need another crack at pre-shutter work?
09-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, that :-) A better start will allow an easier finish.
09-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just consider it as pre-postprocessing
09-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I pushed it a bit further but I quickly ran out of data - the file is too small...
BTW what software are you working with?

Last edited by wildman; 11-08-2012 at 12:28 AM.
09-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My workflow is Camera -> iPhoto -> Adobe Photoshop CS 5.

Want me to send you the file size JPEG?