Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #1

Does this self-portrait work?

Took this self-portrait last night at about 0600, after finishing my homemade ring-flash as found on strobist forums. The ringflash is really a mess, but seems it works decently anyway (i forgot to add tin foil in the top-part of it, and forgot to make a hole for the lens untill i finished it ^^)

Anyway, here's the picture. I'm a bit unsure about the crop/composition, so please comment on that and everything else you might feel you want to critique. Whatever it might be, i can take it

It was taken under 2x40watt normal spotlights(tungsten?), and with the new homemade "ringflash" fired at full power.
18mm f10 1/80th iso200 Original, unmodified image;

After minor adjustments and some pp work:
Click image to get large image

02-04-2008, 12:41 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I like the crop and pp work. It works for me.
Nice photo
02-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the lighting is pretty good on this shot, but for composition I would move things in the frame a little bit. Your eyes are probably the most important part of the shot, so I would put them on the top third rather than right in the middle. This might chop off the top of your head a little bit, but that shouldn't hurt things it is done all the time. Also the action is more the left than to the right, so I would leave the extra space on the left instead of the right. So move your head up and to the right and it will look even better.
02-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

you do have hair right?

i would add more light to fully illuminate your head.