Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Memories
Lens: Takumar 28/3.5 Camera: K-x ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 3s Aperture: F16 

Hi, this is my first time posting in this section of the forum. Sorry if I unintentionally broke any rules
I'd like to hear some opinions about this picture from a photographic standpoint. I'm not used to photo critique, but I think it's needless to say that harsh comments would be welcome, were they necessary.
Thanks!

09-30-2012, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Hello
An interesting image. I think the B&W soft sepia tone works well here given the title. The framing and pov is good. I like the swirling diffuse light on the path, I think it makes the photo. The only niggles for me are the pose of the boy which might be personal preference. Looking out of frame and the legs crossed. I'd like to see one with both feet on the ground and looking at the light, but it's one of those things that might make it better or maybe not. The only other thing maybe a slight vignette on the bottom corners to keep the eye in the frame.
Cheers
Greg
09-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory_51 Quote
Hello
An interesting image. I think the B&W soft sepia tone works well here given the title. The framing and pov is good. I like the swirling diffuse light on the path, I think it makes the photo. The only niggles for me are the pose of the boy which might be personal preference. Looking out of frame and the legs crossed. I'd like to see one with both feet on the ground and looking at the light, but it's one of those things that might make it better or maybe not. The only other thing maybe a slight vignette on the bottom corners to keep the eye in the frame.
Cheers
Greg
Hi, thank you very much for the comment. His face was also towards the camera, only the eyes were looking outside the frame. It was also a matter of how the light hit his face, that determined this position. What do you think about the third person, is it distracting, or hardly noticeable? Also, are the feet in the foreground noticeable enough? Should I add a little more local contrast to enhance them?
10-01-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's an interesting photo — partially because of the lighting overall and also because of the angle of the tree trunk.
I must be particularly dense, but I don't see the "third person." Is that the bright swirl slightly to the right of the person seated in the far background? I find that bright swirl to be mildly distracting, not as mysterious as it might be if you chose to somehow enhance it through greater sepia toning or in some other manner.
I'd be tempted to clone out the white object on the path — near the center of the lower part of the image.
Best wishes.

10-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions.
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
It's an interesting photo — partially because of the lighting overall and also because of the angle of the tree trunk.
It was a technically difficult shot. I used the bright spot to imprint more of the walking girl on the image. Where she walked in shade, you can see the trail is more washed out. I also used two stacked linear polarizers to drop the exposure to 3 seconds. Varying the angle between them gets different degrees of "neutral density".
Can you please detail the trunk part?
I must be particularly dense, but I don't see the "third person." Is that the bright swirl slightly to the right of the person seated in the far background? I find that bright swirl to be mildly distracting, not as mysterious as it might be if you chose to somehow enhance it through greater sepia toning or in some other manner.
The third person is the one other than the boy and the ghost/memory/lover/whatever. The reading woman in the background.
I'd be tempted to clone out the white object on the path — near the center of the lower part of the image.
Those are leaves, lol

Last edited by vladimiroltean; 10-01-2012 at 12:30 PM.
10-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #6

I feel that the biggest problem is that the boy isn't terribly interesting, nor does he seem contemplative enough to be considering the ghostly image crossing in front of him.

In short, it's almost like two different images: one of the boy by himself and one of the barely recognizable figure in the foreground.
There isn't really enough to strongly tie them together.

Others will "get" it and say it's enough, but from there on it's really personal preference.
10-06-2012, 03:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I do not like the picture. It has 2 problems for me. Conversion is not good or the person sitting on the bench is not sitting "right".
What I mean is, because of the 3s exposure, the person walking has become a ghost. Which is nice, and can work very well. But for that, the preson sitting on the bench should be looking differently, like scared or so. Which, if you do not know him, is a bit tricky to accomplish. You might be able to overcome this by a different conversion. Try to make the picture feel like there are ghosts among us, but we do not notice them.

10-06-2012, 03:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, thanks very much for the comments. I will try and redo it. Maybe change the angle, come in closer and keep the boy with his face in his hands and a rose in one of them. Also, will try to keep the trail shorter.
10-06-2012, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

now your talking, I like the idea of face in hand and a rose in the other, that will tell a story
10-06-2012, 04:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What about the conversion? Didn't understand quite well that part.
10-06-2012, 04:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

one more tip. do it when it is a bit darker, and let the girl wear white clothes, she will then stand out more as a ghost
10-06-2012, 04:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The conversion should be darker. It is now a bit too cheerfull for my taste, concidering the what it is with the ghost