Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-02-2012, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Rob Roy Hillclimb
Lens: A 50mm F2 Camera: istDS Photo Location: Christmas Hills, Vic ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s 

More for critique.

As mentioned in the bird thread I also have here, earlier on Sunday I was at the Rob Roy hillclimb event.

Here's some pics from it, all have had minor adjustments to levels and most of the moving cars needed to be cropped a lot. (I only had the 50 with me and forgot that there were barriers stopping people getting too close to the track

Anyway, pics:

Rob Roy. - a set on Flickr

10-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are very good for a fifty mm lens but one has a venitting on all four corners is this what you did,
But number three is very very good you have the rear wheels going like crazy but the front look like
they're not moving well done
10-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, the black and white one of the Porsche 356 had vignette added after the fact.
10-03-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The squatted Porsche does it for me. That's living in my "cars" folder so I can oogle it in times to come. :P

It just looks explosive, and that I dig. The other shots don't have enough movement for me. Also, what a shocking colour Lotus! The BW makes it looks a proper $20,000 bucks :P

10-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I actually rather liked the Lotus' colour scheme.
But I can completely understand why others would dislike it (the interior was trimmed in bright red leather..... everywhere! dashboard, headliner, everything except the steering wheel was red)

It was one of the Essex edition Esprit's, apparently there were only 100 made. The one in the pics was #7 according to the badges.

Most of the cars were leaving the start line rather gingerly because the surface wasn't particularly grippy, as a result there wasn't much excitement.

The Porsche however, he kind of just booted it off the line. The wheelspin combined with the back squatting down really looked impressive from such an old car (especially since most cars it's age are paraded around slowly at walking pace)
10-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
exactly!

That's why I love it so. :P Good to see the old Bavarian kicking its heals up!
10-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The first four all have distracting background elements (dude in hi-vis vest, starting lights, trees, man walking by, trailer in the porsche shot).

I realize some of that is the crowd management barriers, but more careful crops or timing could solve some of those issues.

10-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
The first four all have distracting background elements (dude in hi-vis vest, starting lights, trees, man walking by, trailer in the porsche shot).

I realize some of that is the crowd management barriers, but more careful crops or timing could solve some of those issues.

Yep, all valid points. I hadn't really thought about the lights or the trees. I'll keep that in mind for next time.

The Porsche (orange) shot was unfortunately the best I could do, the trailer does look like rubbish, but the other angles that hid the trailer meant that the range rover parked behind the Porsche was visible
11-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

# 1...the Porsche 356 launching hard....great shot....perfect in B+W.
11-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #10
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm quite fond of the photo of the MX5. If the vehicle is not supposed to be traveling slightly uphill, you might want to tweak the image to level it.
I hope to see more of your photographs — automotive and others.
Best wishes.