Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
High Contrast - yes or no?
Lens: Kit Lens 18mm f8 Camera: Pentax K-r Photo Location: Stafford, UK ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 

K-r, 18-55 Kit Lens, 18mm, f8, 1/125th, 1 x Speedlite camera left - foot or so above, 45 pointing degrees down and around, or somewhere around there.

Hey all, just did a photo shoot for a local guitarist I know, first time doing an "out and about" session, but anywho, the image. Quick edit on one of the pics. Loved this shot and wanted to do something with it right away. Any advice?

I tend to go for crushed blacks/realy high contrast most of the time - does it work well here, or would a flater image be better? I just noticed theres a little bit of ...something..on the left hand side that didnt go to black, but I'll polish it up later to make sure its solid black all around him.

I also just saw the shadow on the forehead right in the middle above the nose, should I leave it as that? Or lighten it a touch maybe? The 3 top strings of the guitar have also pretty much disappeared, not too sure that matters as you get a silhouette of them instead.

Don't know how much re-touching to do realy. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Higher res version here: https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/336636_442783779101593_22004193_o.jpg

Cheers,

Woj

Attached Images

10-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't mind the high contrast and think it works here, but do mourn the loss of his left eye.
10-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #3

Original Poster
Indeed Tried to brighten it up but it's on due to the processing, just nothing to work with, even though it's raw. Might have a go cloning the other eye over ... I'd so bodge that up, lol.
10-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't mind the high contrast, although it's a bit of a mismatch with his expression. Main issue for me is too much highlight where it shouldn't be -- jacket, shirt, and especially those jacket tails. I want to see emphasis on the face, hands, and reflections off the guitar. I'd burn the other parts way down, maybe even completely black out the jacket tails.

10-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I also think the high contrast works here well
10-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello
I think the high contrast is OK for this type of photo. I'd try some different techniques in the processing. The complete loss of detail in the eyes lets down the impact it might have. As stated above I'd tone down the coat tails as theyare bright and draw the eye away.
Cheers
Greg
10-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Main issue for me is too much highlight where it shouldn't be -- jacket, shirt, and especially those jacket tails.
Good point, didn't think of that, I'll try burning down the highlights and muting the coat tails, or even crop em out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory_51 Quote
I'd try some different techniques in the processing. The complete loss of detail in the eyes lets down the impact it might have. As stated above I'd tone down the coat tails as theyare bright and draw the eye away.
Aye this was just the first style I tried for it, so will try some other ideas - I've got some more from the same location where I'll be able to draw the eyes out more so I'll try those too.

I've got another shot which I edited differently which was easier to control - I'll attach that and the original of the black and white in case anyone's interested, or if anyone wants to have a quick go at other processing.

Cheers for taking a look folks, appreciate it.

Attached Images

10-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hello again
I played around with your b&w version, hard to do much. Cloned the eye, toned down the lower part and played with contrasts. I actually like the other one much better. Full length, shows more character, shows the guitar better, nice background. I brightened the face a bit and toned down the corners a touch. I like the lighting better on it but on both I would add a fill flash or a reflector to fill in the shadows and lower the contrast in the original image, you can always bump the contrast and such in pp but it's much harder to fix when the detail isn't there to begin with. I've posted a couple of reworks here. guitar player | Flickr - Photo Sharing! guitar player 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Cheers
Greg
10-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #9

The second photo you posted here is great!

I don't like the first much because it really doesn't seem to suit the subject. That and that fantastic looking resonator guitar isn't as distinctly visible.
Not that it should be the primary focus, but if someone chooses to use that guitar, then it should be somewhat apparent.
10-08-2012, 04:43 AM   #10
smf
Pentaxian

I admire your work. However, the first photo does not work for me unless the musician's work also has a dark side. Although his expression isn't grim, the lighting of his face has what approaches a foreboding — almost sinister — feel.
Best wishes.
10-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

For me it's more a matter of degree rather than kind.

I understand where you are going with this. Very low key Film noir minimalist look.
But I think you went a bit over the top. So much detail has been lost in the shadows that it looks almost abstract.
If that's what you want fine but it doesn't work well for me.
10-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #12

i always prefer high contrast than low.
it gives a lot of dimension to the image especially when it's in black and white.
first image is great, and second image looks awesome!
great lighting there.