Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Sorrento, view from the beach
Lens: 28mm f3.5 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Sorrento, Italy ISO: 200 Aperture: F8 

First time here for me.. It was an impossible shot beacuse of the big difference between the sky and the rest of the subject. So, i shot 3 photos (-2, 0, +2) and then I made a hdr at home. The light was really low where I was (the sun was just behind the terrace, where you can see some silhouettes) giving a strange atmosphere. B&W with a blue tone is a try to recreate that atmosphere. C&C are welcome!

10-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We need to see a larger version and we can't see the one in your album because you need to make them public, not private.
10-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
We need to see a larger version and we can't see the one in your album because you need to make them public, not private.
Ops! You're right .. The album is public now.
10-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #4

Original Poster
Little bump

10-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum
I think the wall makes an interesting subject, & I like the zigzag of the lines going up. They lead the eye nicely up through the shot. The bright patch of cloud & the line of it going up makes me think, "did something explode up there...?" The brightest bit is very bright & seems to overlap the wall a little, which makes it look a bit odd.
I'm not sure about the blue... It's also a little odd, but as you said you were trying to create a particular atmosphere, I guess the important thing is that you get a photo that looks to you like what you saw. We all have particular impressions of the things we're trying to photograph, & it can be so hard to recreate the atmosphere or the mood we felt at the time!
A neutral-density graduated filter can help you a lot with shots where there's a big difference between sky & foreground -- have you ever tried one? (Now, this is coming from a filmie who isn't going to do multiple shots & make an HDR at home! )
10-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply!
About the blue..Some days ago I noticed it's more purplish on my pc display, while it tends to green on another friend's display. But I can't afford a monitor calibration I can assure on my notebook is a slight grayish blue.
About ND filters.. as soon as I can, I'll buy some (both normal and graduated filters), expecially because I usually don't like hdr
10-20-2012, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Gallery
Overall I like the shot (even the colour cast), but I would've liked to see the bottom of the wall.. that's all

10-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #8

I think this would be better if you shot it much closer, to get a sense of looking up and making it more dramatic. It looks kind of flat from this angle.

Also, that sky is just distracting me, especially the bright plume, I don't feel like it adds a lot to the image. Would have rather seen the sky minimized or at least bright for contrast with the wall and get blown out a bit if necessary.