Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Power of Nature
Lens: Tamron 17-50 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Manitoba ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F9.5 

I'm not much of a nature photographer; more into my kids' activities.

C&C please: composition, PP.
Is this photo even interesting?
(Photo lost sharpness in upload to Photobucket)

10-09-2012, 03:43 AM   #2
smf
Pentaxian

It is interesting, especially because of the gap between the two rocks. You might consider these possibilities:
• Crop from the top — perhaps to approximately the top of the fairly large upright branch which is in front of and to the left of (but not attached to) the biggest upright branch.
• Instead of or in addition to cropping from the top, crop from the left so the gap between the two rocks isn't in the center of the image.
Best wishes.
10-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think it needs more of a play on light.

These kind of shots are really hard to do well. I can't count the number of interesting dead log shots I took that looked good out in the woods but failed on the monitor.

Interesting natural light makes or breaks this kind of shot. Often, for a nature shot, it's not the subject but how the light falls on the subject that matter most.

Last edited by wildman; 11-08-2012 at 12:28 AM.
10-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

As it is right now, it is uninteresting. Try to take an unbiased glance at the photo. Does anything capture your eye? In my opinion, the trees in the background are terribly distracting. Although there is no subject in Wildman's photo, the spots of light keep you looking around and create a sort of abstract texture to the photograph, while in your photo the lack of apparent subject causes the viewer to just move on.

That crack in the rock does look like it has the potential to be an interesting subject. I would have suggested trying to move in closer to the crack and make it the prominent subject in the scene. Even then, I can't guarantee that the photograph would be a success, but it would be my first try.

10-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the subject, though you could crop off 1/2" from the top and 1" or so from the right to reduce the peripheral distraction.
10-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll try some crops and re-post.