Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Favorite Model......again....
Lens: DA*50-135 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Texas ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F5.6 

Shelby....my favorite model and "adopted" granddaughter. Friday was the 2nd anniversary of her first ever time to pose in a studio type setting. I recall the first time, and she has come a long way since then......I've made a little progress too.

We weren't doing any serious work Friday, just some casual shots for fun in my new little studio, and I left her hair "untidy"......I think it looks more natural this way....what do you think? Do you often differentiate how you process by the nature of your shooting intentions? If it is a more formal portrait, then it needs to be "in order" but if not....."leave it be"?
How do you see it?
Regards!
[IMG] [/IMG]

10-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree, very natural and very nice. My girlfriend often insists on deleting photos where here hair is not perfect. I do not understand that.
10-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jarda! That is my feeling, but I also know girls can be very particular about their hair and make up. If something is really obviously bad, I try to correct it, otherwise, I like the natural look best of all.

Regards!
10-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Decent soft lighting though there's evidence of slight oversharpening, particularly in portraits with lots of detail, this is not as necessary as just getting the lighting to be more textured for more 3D rendition of the portrait.

10-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ash....I'm afraid my processing is not keeping up with my progress on the lighting.......although I can still use some improvement there too. This is like plugging holes in a leaking dike....you fix one leak....and another pops up somewhere else!

I think I came closer with this one of my Mom......not perfect, but I did put in more effort and I think it made a difference?
[IMG] [/IMG]

Moving my subject father away from the background would help....you think? It would b give more of that 3D effect?

Regards!
10-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #6

I also felt like it was little too sharp, but I love the soft lighting. The mom picture is way better in my Opinion. Nice lighting and sharp enough.
10-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vimeto Quote
I also felt like it was little too sharp, but I love the soft lighting. The mom picture is way better in my Opinion. Nice lighting and sharp enough.
Good observations.....and it leads me back to the question I always ask myself....how much of a good shot...when I get one...is skill, and how much is good luck? Maybe a combination, with ( in my case at least) luck playing the biggest role? Still, I keep going forward, sooner or later I'm going to get decent at this!......maybe?

Regards!

10-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #8

Believe me when tell you I know the feeling. I don't get many good pictures. That's why I hardly even post anything.I think both Of your pictures are good though. Good post processing can make the first picture amazing