Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Under the Bridge
Lens: DA 55-300mm F3.5 Camera: K20-D Photo Location: NW of Coquille, OR ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/25s Aperture: F8 

• Shot on a tripod right at sunset.
  • I'm not happy with the haze in the upper right, but don't know how to avoid it.
  • The bushes seem a little fuzzy to me, or am I being overly obsessive?

10-17-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

A very well composed image, did the wind blow the bushes to make them fuzzy?
10-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by groesener Quote
I'm not happy with the haze in the upper right, but don't know how to avoid it.
Shading the lens (using hat, hand, assistant, or even a Flare Buster) will do the trick as long as the sun isn't actually in the frame.

At this size the bushes are plenty sharp. Unless you're planning to make a very large print, don't worry about how it looks magnified to 100% on your monitor. At f/8 you certainly won't have everything in focus. You could stop down a little more, just be aware that at or beyond f/16 diffraction softening takes a toll.

As snappychappy says, a nice image.
10-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, guys. There wasn't much wind, perhaps a breeze. I was on a tripod, but the azimuth may have drifted a touch, as I didn't lock it down. As I recall (there were multiple shots) I did use my hand as a shade, as I lost my hood recently. Was kind of disgusted with myself for the method of loss, I slung my camera over my shoulder while riding through Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada, since I was stopping every few minutes, and the hood blew off.

10-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Cool. It looks somehow abandoned; the haze adds a mystical effect. Like, "back in the mists of time, this place was inhabited..."
10-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #6

I really don't like the pillar on the right. It creates this dark blob on the side of the frame, throws it all out of balance. If it wasn't there you'd have these pairs of them leading the eye off into the distance.

The lighting is really good it adds a lot of depth to the pillars and the foliage.

The image definitely has an abandoned feel to it which I really like.
10-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I agree about the pillar on the right, but there was no way to exclude it and still see all the others. Between terrain and angle, all my options seemed to have a fatal flaw. I may go down there again when I have more time and lurk for a while, see if I can see another way. Thanks for the observation, and indirect encouragement to do better.

10-24-2012, 06:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by groesener Quote
  • Shot on a tripod right at sunset.
  • I'm not happy with the haze in the upper right, but don't know how to avoid it.
  • The bushes seem a little fuzzy to me, or am I being overly obsessive?
The pillar on the right and the first crossbar, or what bridge builders call it, at the top needs to go I think. If you got the chance to go at again perhaps finding an angle that is more down and up. Hope I´m making any sense here.
Try a polarizing filter for the haze. Could help that and also do the grey concrete bridge a favour.
10-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Polarizer...hadn't thought of that. I certainly WILL have another shot at it, I'll see what I can do. Might be a while before I can do it with sun - this is the Oregon coast, and it's late October... :/ Thanks for the ideas.
10-27-2012, 04:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It works for me.