Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yesterday
Lens: Sigma 18-50 / 2,8-4,5 Camera: k 5 Photo Location: Velenje;Slovenia ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F9.5 

Yesterday noon at the plateau of the local galleries.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  140.0 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  167.7 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  110.5 KB

10-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

For composition I like the 1st one best, because your subject is walking from left to right, a more natural direction for the eye to flow (or so the composition experts say!). And, he's on a third-line, which is good. Although, I like the exposure on the 2nd one a bit better. This person is also on a third-line but is heading left which kind of leads my eye back out of the picture instead of on to the rest of it on the right. In the 3rd one there seems to be just a little too much on the left side, with the different coloured wall or door -- and is the photo about the lettering (not quite sharp) or the people on the stairs?
I think the lines & pattern of the wall work much better when you crop in close as you did on the 1st one.
10-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the composition of the first one best of the three. Things that could be improved on it. First it slants down to the left which is easy to see on the lines of the marble. Second I find it too contrasty. I was obviously a sunny day with heavy shadows but there is no detail in the persons shadow on the wall and under the steps. I would try reworking it to bring out some detail.
Cheers
Greg
10-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #4

I like the first two as a pair. In the first one, the subject is walking down the stairs and looking downward gaze wherease the opposite is true in the second one. And in both the staircase is sort of a neutral constant. It is a nice, strong diagonal and the edges of the stairs add a horizontal lines aspect.

However, I would also say that in both cases, the subjects are walking out of the frame rather than into it. Maybe this has to do with the artistic intent. But just in general, I think that having the subjects moving into the center of the frame rather than away from it would be helpful in drawing in the perception and cognition of the viewer.

But to reiterate, I would suggest linking the first and second together as one presentation maybe.

10-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yesterday

Hi,
I'm happy that each individual has their own opinion regarding the composition of the individual photographs. At the same time raises a hypothetical question: "in what position it is wise to set up a model-man, and when combined with the rise and descent by stairs??"
I would add two more photos in color, to enrich series!
greeting

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  152.8 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  138.3 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  128.5 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  136.7 KB
10-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Why do your picture always show a high degree of CA and lack of sharpness? Not that those are needed for a nice picture, but even your landscapes look like they are all extreme crops, or just really blurry.
11-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The monochrome works best but what I´m missing in all of them is depth. I see you set at F9.5 and that should really be fine for this but, nevertheless it looks to me as if there´s just about enough space between wall and railing for those passing up and down. I wonder why that is.

11-13-2012, 04:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi,
After remarks ironlionzion, I must review the correctness of my equipment!
greeting
11-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a nice set, and some issues have been pointed out. As for positioning of the subject, usually you want to have space in front of the subject as they move, for them to move into. A frame acts as a visual barrier such that the mind assumes they are going to bump into it if they are too close. The first image with the woman with the red umbrella gives this room. The last image of with the man with the red parka needs this room. You can play with the for effect, but generally, "lead your subject".

BTW, I think the first one with the Red umbrella is the best. It sets up a great focal point the eye moves out from. And with the BG so monochrome, it is also a great contrast with the color!

Regards,
11-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the subject going out of the frame, and often shoot that way myself. #2 for me :-)
11-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi,
I like the most is precisely this diversity of views on the composition, which is all of us, when looking at the same photo! If everyone had the same approach (by the rules), the world would be a very tedious! Do not you?
greeting