Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pelicans
Lens: smc PENTAX-DA L 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Camera: K-X Photo Location: Florida ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F5.6 

I'm relatively new to even halfway serious photography. Here are a couple of my favorite shots of Pelicans. I'm trying to improve, so any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

10-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Cool birds I like the idea of the one in focus in front, & the others out of focus behind. His feathers are sharp, but he's pretty close to the bottom of the frame; his tail is just a bit cut off. I think the background doesn't work here though -- both the shapes & the colours distract considerably from the pelicans.
#2 works because it doesn't have the same problem -- a little more space below the bird, & a less "busy" background. Also sharp, & the colour tint is ok too. This guy looks quite stately & striking. You got a little catch-light in the eye in both shots, which is always good.
"Halfway" to serious photography is ok -- as long as the serious photography is still fun! So, carry on, watch your backgrounds/depth of field, & cropping.
10-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I find your comments about the background on the first shot being distracting very interesting. I really liked the boat in the background, thought it brought context, but you don't like it. It's interesting to get a different perspective.

I didn't even notice the problem with framing, I had cropped it down slightly trying to get the eye of the first pelican right on the 1/3 line. Here it is opened up to include the tail, and I also rotated it slightly. Is this a little better?

10-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #4

When I saw the first set I had the same comment about cropping and distracting background. I also see your point about finding the ship interesting. The thing is that if you want to show something that is interesting, it has to be in focus. Like this it's not even recognizable as a ship (I thought it was a pier...), and as such it becomes a distraction. I do like the new crop a lot more actually, and the line of pelicans and DOF is very strong in my opinion. Do watch those dust goobies though! (they are at the left top next to the ship)

The second image is nice and sharp, with the perfect DOF to separate the pelican from the background. I'm not sure if I like the colour cast though, I wonder what the colour version looks like .

10-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I didn't like the second one in color, there just didn't seem to be much there in terms of a colorful image:

10-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #6

Well, for what it's worth, I do prefer the colour version much more. Just be careful with your background - the wall is in line with the bird's head... a small step to the left and the whole background is blue sky