Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Light and Shadow
Lens: Samyang/Bower 35mm F1.4 Camera: Pentax K-30 Photo Location: Xiamen, China ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/3000s Aperture: F2.4 

Hello, this is a picture I took today of the lights/shadows I saw on the sidewalk today.
What do you think about it?
Any constructive/harsh criticism would be appreciated.
Thanks!

10-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #2

In this picture the lines of the cobble stones make very strong lines, making a very interesting image even without the light and shadow play. In fact, I think the shadow play detracts from the overall impact as the shadow/light theme competes with the cobble/lines theme. I do like the golden glow on the stones though, combined with the fallen leaves it gives a nice fall feeling.
Technical stuff: watch your lighting... the whites are blown and your darks are clipped, so maybe there was just a little too much range in the scene for the camera.
10-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your critique! I actually did not think of the lines of the cobble stones at all when taking the picture... shows how much I need to learn!
And regarding the range, is it that I got the exposure wrong? Or maybe I should have taken it in RAW? (I took the picture as jpg).
Thanks again for your criticism!
10-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #4

For shooting jpg your exposure was pretty much where you'd want it I think, you are right about in the middle of the dynamic range of the scene. Yes, shooting RAW is always better, you have much more opportunity to correct the shot when developing than with jpg. When shooting raw in these kinds of situations it's better to underexpose a little though: there is always more information preserved in the darks than the highlights, so recovery is more likely (ie, when shooting in RAW expose for the brightest part of the scene, then bring up the darks in development).

10-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #5

While the lights and shadows are nice I really feel like this photo has no subject. I would have liked to see at least some kind of foreground and/or background elements.
10-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks both for your comments! I will take them into consideration.
As regards to adelorenzo's comment, there were some children playing around, but I didn't include them in the picture... maybe next time I should.
10-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hello
As stated above the highlights are blown out. I imagine it was too great a dynamic range to handle. Try bracketing and merging in a HDR program like Photomatix or even photoshop. As for shooting as a jpg, why? I can't understand why people buy a SLR camera and shoot jpg, might as well get a point and shoot.(end mini rant) Regarding this photo it has some interesting lines of the pavers and the light and shadows add some interest but there really isn't a subject here. The eye is drawn to the brightest part of an image but when you go there there is just the blown hightlights, the odd leaf here and there are more of a distraction to me at least. I would encourage you to keep trying, I'm fond of patterns and light and shadows and such myself. I would try different angles and pov, maybe getting down to a few inches above the pavers etc. Look for patterns etc. Keep shooting, don't take one or two shots and walk away. Ask yourself why the subject interested you, is there a better angle or pov, would different light work better? Etc etc.
Cheers

10-24-2012, 04:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Personally I don't mind the blown highlight here. It's a small sunny reflection, no one expects to find important detail there. It's not ruined like eg. a bridal gown would be ruined by overexposure.

Regards,
--Anders.
10-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks all for your comments! This photo critique section quite helps alot... I can see what I am doing wrong, such as having no point of interest here in this photo (or maybe the subject was not clear enough), blown highlights etc. I really appreciate all your comments! Hopefully you guys don't mind if I keep posting my (not too good to bad) photos in this section.