Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Colfax Avenue
Lens: Pentax DA 35mm Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Denver, Colorado ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F3.5 

I am contemplating submitting this particular photo to a call for entry for black and white photographs. Is it worthy of a try? If I'm going to spend $25 to answer a call for entry, I want to have a better than 50% shot of it making the show. What's your experience with submitting your work for gallery shows?

11-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #2

What images are they looking for in the show? Hard to offer much of an opinion on that without knowing.

I think it's a very strong image I really like it.

Some suggestions:

Personally, I would crop tighter on the subject, probably cropping out some of the right/top areas. It's also a really contrasty image I would try it a little less so. You might want to burn the face of the guy on the left he's reflecting some harsh light.
11-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm. I admire your courage in shooting in this neighborhood. I like the processing of the shot.

What I'm less awed by are two things:

1. The expressions of the two guys facing you appear put on for the camera--not a pure street shot illustrating emotion to me, but a vague feeling of artifice, though I know that's certainly not your intention.
2. i don't like the back of the head of the third person. That's usually an immediate disqualifier for jurors in competitions, but who knows?

Do you have others?

M
11-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback!

The show is open, the only requirement is that the images are black and white and lens based.

11-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
As far as the shot being posed in any way, it wasn't. The guy waving his arms around attracted my attention, the guy in the Los Angeles hat was asking me why I was taking pictures. He didn't particularly like having his picture taken. It was earlier in the day, around 10 a.m. or so I think, so the light was harsh. This was my first encounter with people on my walk that day. The man in the L.A. hat had some strong words for me, telling me "that'll get you killed" when I told him I was working on a photo essay about Colfax, which sort of rattled me for the rest of the day. I like the shot, but that's because I can remember the experience and the interaction I had with it. I'm new at this, and this is the first time I have considered anything like a call for entries. I have a lot to learn, but I want to at least try. Here is another image I am considering on submitting:

and here are some other images of people from my day. I was shooting for my photography class, the assignment was a photo essay, so that is what I was trying to emulate with these shots:

11-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Hmmm. I admire your courage in shooting in this neighborhood.
Ha ha, that's about 3 blocks from where I live, and I live in a very nice place.
11-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
True

I know! I have always found it fascinating how stark of a contrast the two areas are. Colfax (15th Ave) is dirty and old looking, with a crazy mix of people. Then on 17th it's beautiful older buildings, quiet neighborhoods, with well kept yards. City Park is right there, The Zoo is right there. There is like this weird imaginary line that separates the two.