Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #1

Another Pen
Lens: SMC 18-55 Camera: K2000 Photo Location: My home, photo box ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F6.7 

Since my last submission an overhead incandescent light has been added to the two halogen side lights. I also increased the Ev to 2.0. Your critique and input is requested. Thanks to all.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K2000  Photo 
11-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello
I see you have cleaned the sensor since the last posting, looks much better. I see you've adjusted the EV comp, good. I still have to say I feel the white balance is way off. It's quite warm which gives it a certain look since this is a product shot I think the color should be as accurate as possible. I did a quick edit, tightened the cropping, neutralized the color cast and sharpened the pen up. Posted it here 2012-11-14_132117 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! You may disagree but that's my 2 cents.
Cheers
Greg
11-15-2012, 02:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
As a product shot it won't quite work. Colour is off and the subject matter is too soft. The idea to place it on some office stationery is good but there is too much of it, after all you want to sell the pen, don't you ?

I just did a quick colour correction and applied sharpening with my favorite sharpening tool - FocalBlade. But it is hard to rescue, there is no substitute to get it right in the first place. With this type of photography there ought to be plenty of time to get it right.

Result of my meddling below.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 02-16-2013 at 01:50 AM.
11-15-2012, 02:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Glen,
You might need to put these guys on the payroll.
By the way, my real name is Glen too. Single N, those 2 N guys are a bit weird.

Regards

11-17-2012, 05:45 AM   #5
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First, I praise what you have achieved — both in the photography and in the craftmanship.

Second, I find the horizontal bright line on most of the pen to be distracting. It does not bother me near the tip. Perhaps a diffuser would help.

Best wishes.
11-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input. I've attached a photo taken today which I hope shows further improvement. This one is cropped and has text added as I post them in my shop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K2000  Photo 
11-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Getting much better. I like the tighter crop and the logo and description included in the shot as this is a product shot, although just to be picky it's maybe a tad cramped at the bottom. Maybe just a little bit more room so the type doesn't crowd the pen. The color is much better but still a bit off, a touch green. Now you can work on tweaking the image to make your great looking pens look their best. The gold veining is rather flat that is easily fixed in pp. Just select the gold and on a hue/saturation layer bump it up till the image on the screen looks like the actual item. The other thing is the dark band running through the decorative silver rings. Since you are using continuous light it's easy to fix when you take the photo. The easiest way is just to take some small pieces of white cardboard bend a little foot and angle them so they bounce light back on the spots you want. The overhead lights have lit the top and the light bouncing back up from the paper have lit the bottom you just need to use the bounce cards to fill in between to eliminate the dark band. Just look through the viewfinder as you position them to see the effect they have and then take the photo, no need for extra lights or expense.
Cheers
Greg

11-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Greg.