Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Fog in Quistorp Park
Lens: Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Szczecin, Poland Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F8 

Szczecin is in dense for recently. I've decided to take some photos after a long break from photography.

ISO speed of first one is 80, rest is 200.

Larger size is available - just click in photo and you'll be redirected to Google+.

I will be grateful for honest critique.

11-16-2012, 04:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first one is great, I like it a lot. The other two.. you had doubts on how to frame it, and I think the best would be if you could have taken a couple steps back and shot a landscape oriented photo with a little more space above the trees and a little more reflection. Maybe I'm only thinking this because there are two photos of the same scene with different orientation and can't decide which is better of the two
11-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello
I like the first one best, I like the subject and mood. If it was mine I would trim about 5% off the top and left side as I find the the framing a little bit loose. I would also make it a a monochrome as the minimal color is barely noticeable and changing it to monochrome empahsizes the shapes and mood in my opinion. The second I would again change to a grayscale as there is even less color in this one. I would brighten it up a touch as I feel it's a little dark, you can see the difference between it and the last image. I find the tall evergreen competing for your attention and unbalancing the image. I would crop it right out. I would crop off the left side to just past the second lamp post. It would result in an almost rectangular framing but be more compelling I think. The last one I'm afraid I don't care for, too much of a jumble of elements. Again the tall dense evergreen and a person walking out of the frame etc. If it was mine, again I would change it to mono. Crop off the left side as before and take 10 - 15% off the top. That would leave the bare tree with it's reflection and the ducks. My two cents.
Cheers
Greg
11-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually like the 3rd one............the lone person standing there and the leading line tracing the shoreline adds something

11-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #5

I like them. I wish the birds were not in the last 2 shot.
11-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for critique.

I think you all are right about second and third shots - I should have composed it better. Not sure about cropping tall tree (have to try it), but capturing more reflection would work fine here. As for those ducks - they're ALWAYS there... I will need wider lens for this one - due to the environment, moving backwards won't work.
11-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The first was OK but fairly bland - like fog :-)

I scrolled down the second and thought that was very nice, though the birds were too close to the corner.

Continued to the third and found it the most pleasant and interesting to look at, and the birds were not too close to the corner. However, it is a very tall shot, and I think it is better balanced if you crop off about 1/2 the sky above the tree.

11-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
actually like the 3rd one............the lone person standing there and the leading line tracing the shoreline adds something
Me too.
11-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I prefer the second image. The ducks gives the picture depth. A person walking along the path would further enhance the photo. If there was no one around, put the camera on a timer and place yourself in the image. You could either walk away from the camera or pretend looking at the ducks.