Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

First tilt-shift attempt
Lens: Sigma 17-70mm Camera: K-x Photo Location: Gold Coast ISO: 200 Aperture: F16 

I don't usually do much in the way of PP (a consequence of sheer laziness)...but I always wanted to try this effect. Then I remembered some pics I took almost 2 years ago that would be suitable...and this is the end result of one of them.

Thoughts and opinions always welcome:

11-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #2

That actually turned out quite well.

What software/methods did you use?
11-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CrazyNuts Quote
What software/methods did you use
It was much easier than I thought...done in Photoshop CS5.
I used the gradient tool which allows the selection of an area that would remain untouched (and therefore in focus) - in this case it was the section of around the height of the ferris wheel across the whole pic. Then a simple fiddling around of the lens blur (until it just looks right) applied to the sections above and below the focus point (with more blur being applied the further away from the focused area). Oh...then a bit of a saturation boost, since toys and models are always very colourful, as this is what the tilt-shift effect is supposed to emulate.

Sorry if I'm not explaining it correctly...I got the info from a number of different websites while I was at work, and then just applied whatever I had managed to commit to memory when I got home (by then, the laziness had kicked in again and I was only going to try and find the same websites if I ran into trouble - luckily, I didn't!).
11-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is an excellent example of how to do the "digital tilt" effect. The most important thing is the camera position: looking down and with nothing particularly close. But the subject matter is also just right; the mind's eye is ready to see a scene like this and think of it as a miniature model. The ferris wheel really helps with the "toy" effect. Bright colors also help.

11-27-2012, 02:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your assessment. For some reason, I felt it necessary that the ferris wheel be in the area that remained unblurred. I think the effect would have been diminished somewhat, otherwise.
12-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It worked. When I first saw it, I thought you had actually used a tilt-shift lens.