Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Horse drawn carriage
Lens: FA 31 Camera: K5 Photo Location: San Antonio, TX ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F5.6 

My first attempt at isolating a color, dodging and burning a photo. Please comment. Thank you.

Attached Images

11-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #2
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is well done. However, I would prefer the image without the color, or with the color confined to that on the horse (not the carriage), and perhaps with all of the color on the horse being the deeper color of one of the flowers, rather than the somewhat jarring, almost neon color.
Best wishes.
11-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The color-bits-on-black-and-white trick is generally most effective when the color is confined to a single object, that being the focal point (in terms of composition) of the image. While you have isolated the color effectively, with so many scattered bits of garish color the eye has nowhere to rest. The use of color has to match the subject or it becomes just a gimmick. Here, for example, you have an anachronism (horse-drawn carriage) in a modern setting, and you could reinforce that by treating the entire horse and carriage (and driver) one way and the background another. Subject in B&W and background in color could work well, although that would be better if there were more of a contrast between old and modern (e.g., brightly-colored taxicabs, neon signage, and the like) in the scene. Flipping that around (subject in color, background in B&W) could also work, although this is a subject that stands out well without extra treatment. Yet another approach would be some sort of vintage color treatment.
11-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, smf and baro-nite for your great suggestions. Below are two versions based on your recommendations: #1 carriage in color with a bw background. #2 bw carriage with a color background. What do you think?

Attached Images

Last edited by jnguyen; 11-26-2012 at 03:28 PM.
11-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

One thing for me, and I'm not sure if it's the editing or not, the Horse and Carriage (more so the horse) seem to be floating in a way.

They both seem a bit brighter than the backgrounds and lighting suggest they should be, this combined with the lack of shadows (see hooves) makes it look like the Horse and Carraige have been cut and pasted from a different image.
11-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
One thing for me, and I'm not sure if it's the editing or not, the Horse and Carriage (more so the horse) seem to be floating in a way.

They both seem a bit brighter than the backgrounds and lighting suggest they should be, this combined with the lack of shadows (see hooves) makes it look like the Horse and Carraige have been cut and pasted from a different image.
Good point. I did a lot of dodging and burning. I'll put back more of the shadow on the horse and carriage.
11-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I didn't care for the selective color as it didn't help the image I felt. The garish color is too distracting. I think the color horse and carriage and b&w background works the best of your last two. It helps draw the eye to the subject and ties them together and makes them stand out. The reversed one with the b&w subject with the color background doesn't work as well with this subject. The eye is naturally drawn to the color in the background and away from the subject. I do find the subject to be somewhat flat and it lessens the impact I think. The histogram shows the tones are rather bunched up in the lower 2/3s. I did a some tweaks to the horse and carriage to show what I mean. Posted it here. 2012-11-26_202850a | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Cheers
Greg
11-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory_51 Quote
I didn't care for the selective color as it didn't help the image I felt. The garish color is too distracting. I think the color horse and carriage and b&w background works the best of your last two. It helps draw the eye to the subject and ties them together and makes them stand out. The reversed one with the b&w subject with the color background doesn't work as well with this subject. The eye is naturally drawn to the color in the background and away from the subject. I do find the subject to be somewhat flat and it lessens the impact I think. The histogram shows the tones are rather bunched up in the lower 2/3s. I did a some tweaks to the horse and carriage to show what I mean. Posted it here. 2012-11-26_202850a | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Cheers
Greg
Gregory_51, Wow! you really made the horse and carriage stand out. A picture is worth a thousand words. Many thanks for your insights.

12-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I like the horse/carrage with just a little color as you corrected. A nice photo to view is my thought, sorry I can't say anything else other than I like it. Bob