Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #1

Standing alone, standing tall
Lens: 10-17mm Fisheye Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Shungatskar Lake, Arunachal Pradesh, India ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F13.5 

An afternoon sun and an ultra wide angle lens gave me little latitude with angles when shooting this lake at 12,700 ft. I didn't want a lens flare.

The proximity of the lake to the Indian Chinese border and a very rough 2 1/2 hr SUV drive over a dirt track to access it in an Army controlled area allowed me to be there for just a couple of hours in the afternoon.

The lake was created in 1950 in the aftermath of an earthquake, after a pine forest sank and a flash flood filled the cavity. The lake is now stream fed.

I did my best to capture the blend of tranquility and harshness. Did I succeed?

11-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no image ...
11-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
There is no image ...
Edited with the corrected photo link
11-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The back side of the mountain seems underexposed. A lot of detailed is lost as a result. There is some flare on the left upper corner. Consider using your hand/hat to shade the lens inoder to prevent flare. Good composition. I'm glad you have a person standing in the cement path to give viewers an idea how big this the peak is. Very exotic place. I hope you will post more photos of this area of the world.

11-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello
As stated above the shadow side of the mountain is lacking any detail. With the fisheye lens it takes in so much that the sun and flare is often a factor. Shielding the lens is difficult with such a wide angle of view. I did a quick edit to smooth out the sky and try to get some detail in the shadow side of the mountain but it falls apart quickly on a low resolution jpeg. Posted it here 2012-11-28_193614 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!. If you shot in RAW you can likely get a fair amount of detail back in pp.
Cheers
Greg
11-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #6

Aside from what others mentioned I also think that the mountain top is too close to the edge of the frame, which is really too bad with such a wide-angle lens. Perhaps not shooting from a standing position, but slightly lower would've helped with angling up a little bit and creating a little more room there. Very nice looking location!
11-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
Whew! That was quick and superb editing. Inspired me to spend the last few hours trying to match it using the Silkypix utility that came with the Pentax K-30.

I mostly used curves to draw out some details, and increased dynamic range to reduce lens flare.

While taking the photo, I struggled to shield the lens from the glare but mostly succeed when I turned the camera completely away. I will post some more photos later.

Would an umbrella or a hat have helped?

Unfortunately I didn't use RAW, believing that it is handy if you mess up the white balance.

Anyway, for whatever it's worth, here is the result of my post processing.

I lost the plot completely trying to keep the sky color close to the original!

The road to honing by photography skills, it turns out, is going to be a lot rougher than the road to Shungatsker lake in Tawang district of Arunachal Pradesh, but I ain't relenting.

Thanks for the hand hloding!

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory_51 Quote
Hello
As stated above the shadow side of the mountain is lacking any detail. With the fisheye lens it takes in so much that the sun and flare is often a factor. Shielding the lens is difficult with such a wide angle of view. I did a quick edit to smooth out the sky and try to get some detail in the shadow side of the mountain but it falls apart quickly on a low resolution jpeg. Posted it here 2012-11-28_193614 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!. If you shot in RAW you can likely get a fair amount of detail back in pp.
Cheers
Greg

11-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the superb critique and encouragement.

I plan to post more picture of Shungatsker lake and other Arunachal Pradesh landscapes, this time with some post processing. (With my skill level the claim of PP is probably not justified. FP (Fumble Processing) perhaps?

QuoteOriginally posted by jnguyen Quote
The back side of the mountain seems underexposed. A lot of detailed is lost as a result. There is some flare on the left upper corner. Consider using your hand/hat to shade the lens inoder to prevent flare. Good composition. I'm glad you have a person standing in the cement path to give viewers an idea how big this the peak is. Very exotic place. I hope you will post more photos of this area of the world.
11-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VTerlakyPhoto Quote
Aside from what others mentioned I also think that the mountain top is too close to the edge of the frame, which is really too bad with such a wide-angle lens. Perhaps not shooting from a standing position, but slightly lower would've helped with angling up a little bit and creating a little more room there. Very nice looking location!
Hmm...I see your point about the distracting tension with the peak close to the edge, but at 13mm I was more concerned with keeping the horizon straight and horizontal and focusing on the lead in provided by the walkway.

Last edited by Inexorable; 11-28-2012 at 09:17 PM.
11-29-2012, 04:59 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Inexorable Quote
Hmm...I see your point about the distracting tension with the peak close to the edge, but at 13mm I was more concerned with keeping the horizon straight and horizontal and focusing on the lead in provided by the walkway.
Ah, but your lens goes to 10mm. You can always crop later, but can't add more - if you shoot at 10 you can add more sky, and if necessary crop more off the sides and bottom if you don't like the framing.
11-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VTerlakyPhoto Quote
Ah, but your lens goes to 10mm. You can always crop later, but can't add more - if you shoot at 10 you can add more sky, and if necessary crop more off the sides and bottom if you don't like the framing.
I get it! Thank you for the patience