11-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Variety of Colors
Lens: DA 40 Limited Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Whole Foods Store 

There are a few things that I'm trying to achieve here:
- color
- variety
- incorporating a free online photo editor (in this case, befunky.com to add the Polaroid frames)
- create a photo composition that looks like a mixed media project

This is what I have so far...

I was wondering how you guys feel about the background... it is a wicker basket, which I thought kind of matched the whole fruit/veggie theme. Also, the brown is more neutral and complements the bright colors so that is why I chose it as opposed to a brightly colored background. It was also softened to be less distracting.

It is not complete yet, I still need to photograph some Scrabble game letters to write something out in the space between the broccoli and the pears. Some sort of reference to fresh/organic produce of something along those lines... suggestions for that are also welcome if an idea pops into your head.

Thanks in advance for your opinions, I really appreciate it.

11-28-2012, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really like the Polaroid theme here. I'd be curious to see a greater density of images, there seems to be too much wicker (good material choice).
I question whether Scrabble letters fit in thematically. Consider something in the produce market signage genre--at farmers markets there are often paper bags with markered prices. A stick through the bag often holds them up. Or those supermarket glossy strip signs. Capturing the feeling more than being literal would serve you sufficiently I think. . .

M
11-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I question whether Scrabble letters fit in thematically. Consider something in the produce market signage genre--at farmers markets there are often paper bags with markered prices. A stick through the bag often holds them up. Or those supermarket glossy strip signs. Capturing the feeling more than being literal would serve you sufficiently I think. . .

M
Miguel,
I think you are right about the Scrabble letters and you have led me to consider some new ideas that will fit in with the theme:

Either something like this; sign sort of looks like a chalkboard to me

or another idea (that I'm preferring) would be a piece of yellow notebook paper and make it look like a shopping list.
I'm thinking slightly angled and cut off, maybe part of a pen showing as well.

Thank you very much for your opinion and giving me things to consider that I would have otherwise not come up with on my own.
11-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
smf
Pentaxian

It's a nice, well-executed project. I'd enjoy seeing the completed version and other photographs you capture.
I like the wicker background, and I assume you chose to have the wicker slightly out of focus.
Best wishes.

11-29-2012, 06:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
another idea (that I'm preferring) would be a piece of yellow notebook paper and make it look like a shopping list.
You are welcome Julie.
All these concepts you are considering are sounding real fine. I look forward to seeing the results.

M
11-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hello
I like your idea of a shopping list. Sometimes it takes time to come up with the combination that works. The scrabble tiles I don't think would work but that led you to something that will. Good luck.
Cheers
Greg
12-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Again, thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions!

Here is the *final*.

Not that bad, imo.

12-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #8
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Hope I'm not too late here.

I like the wicker, for sure, and the Polaroid frames is great. If it were me, I would not group like colors together, but rather separate them, i.e. the red, then a green, yellow, orange, etc. and maybe find one or two more fruits and veggies to reduce the amount of wicker.

And the second one with the "handwritten" shopping list is indeed a nice touch.

Overall it is a neat composition, fantastic idea. I like it!