Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

The Glow of Tubes
Lens: DA35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Camera: K5 Photo Location: Living Room ISO: 12800 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F4 

This is a picture I've been working on. It's a Triode Stereo Amplifier taken at night with only the glow from the tubes. This isn't the best shot, I previously downloaded my first choice in "Tubes" previously. Here is the original first choice pic: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photo-critique/204836-machinery-tubes.html

Any comments to improve the shot appreciated. Would increasing D/F to get the rear tubes in better focus help or distract? Use first choice picture from above.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Stevizzy; 11-30-2012 at 08:38 AM. Reason: comment
11-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A tripod, is my only advice
11-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That will be done on the next go-around....I didn't own one the first time I tried the shot.
11-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Once you have a tripod, the shot can be taken at a lower ISO and thus allow for more post processing without excessive noise.

The image seems a little tilted to the left. There's a white bit on the bottom that attracts the eye but is cut off - I would either include all of it or crop it all off.

It could use a bit of increased brightness and contrast, to emphasize the lit areas.

11-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I plan to try it again tomorrow, thanks for the advice on ISO. The white bit on the bottom is the ceramic base of the tube. Showing it would require some of the chassis to be in the picture. The chassis is a beautiful dark blue metal flake which is quite attractive. I'll try to include it and the smaller tubes next go around. Thanks!
11-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hello
Those old vacuum tubes are quite interesting subjects. Probably from the 30's to 50's. Technology has certainly made huge strides in such a short time. In addition to a tripod I would suggest bracketing the exposures to get more details in the shadows and highlights and blend them in pp. I would also try different angles. Moving off to the side a bit so the tubes aren't directly in front of each other and photographing a pair instead of all four. Lastly I would try for some close up detail shots which I think could be interesting and abstract. Good luck.
Cheers
Greg
11-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah, I love the Tube Sound. Transistors rule with computers but real music still sounds better with vacuum tubes. This amplifier is a current production model and is beautifully built with a metallic electric blue chassis I'd like to capture in the picture just can't figure out what lighting to use. The warm glow from the tubes speaks for itself on cold winter nights listening to music. The amp is quite large so including the whole chassis with 3 huge transformers might not work while keeping the focus on the main power tubes. I plan to use my new tripod and do it over tomorrow evening. Thanks for the comments. I've replaced both front tubes (matched pair) because the one on the right side of the picture was starting to go and it's visible in the picture with the dimmer filament.

11-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
JinDesu - those are the tube sockets. Usually not the ceramic type these days, they went to Bakelite in the 50's, then plastic more recently. Ceramic ones are still the best.

Stevizzy - I agree with showing the tube sockets, and also with taking this at different angles. Judging by this shot, an angle from the left, and still keep one tube partially in front of the other. Also make sure you wipe the tubes down (while cooled off please) to eliminate dust. I took some still lifes of a couple of my spare tubes a couple of nights ago just tinkering with a new camera, neglected to clean everything up and the tubes had dust all over the place, which stood out big time in a 100% view. One had cobwebs on the contact pins...been a while since they've been used...These were just lying on a table though, not in an amp and working. I use a Fender tube amp, might be interesting to try this just for fun. I've seen some very good shots of tubes in use.
12-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think if you're going to include the coloured frame in the image it might work to experiment with a little lightpainting to brighten the frame without also overexposing the tubes.

It will take a few trial and error shots to get the light intensity and movement right, but should work rather well.

(in case you don't know, lightpainting is where you use a long exposure, 30sec or more, and while the shutter is open you use a secondary light source (torch etc) to shine on the parts you wish to brighten in the image. Keep the light source moving to avoid harsh lighting spots)
It lets you shine the light on the dark parts without having to also brighten the parts with their own lighting (the tubes)
12-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Lightpainting eh? Never heard of it, thanks for the idea. Sounds interesting and now I'm thinking how I can use the technique.
12-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You mentioned increasing D/Fin your first post, and I think in this shot it is warranted. I believe all four tubes in sharp focus and glowing, surrounded by darkness would be striking. The tripod would allow for the smaller aperture, lower ISO and subsequent longer exposure needed. Great idea for a photo.
« The sea | Critique »