Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #1

Tawang Monastery: Tranquil Majesty
Lens: 18-135mm Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh, India ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F8 

The Tawang monastery appointed the Dalai Lama once in the past and China, afraid it might do so again, has been pressuring India to cede Arunachal Pradesh, something the people of Arunachal Pradesh don't want.

This is a hand held shot and I needed a minimum of 1/350s shutter speed to mitigate handshake with the 135mm zoom. As a result, I could not go beyond F/8.0.

The focus on the monastery is reasonably sharp, but the foliage behind and in front isn't in sharp focus.

I had the option to use my tripod. Should I have done so and lowered ISO to 100 and stepped up to F/22 or more to get more depth of focus.

How would a pro have handled it?

Anything else that I could have done better?

12-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't know how a pro would have handled it. I'm just giving my opinion.
A tripod would have helped, particularly if you wanted to increase the depth of field. I'm not convinced that that would be the best way to make the photo more visually exciting. It seems to me that right now, there are two major factors detracting from the impact. First, I think the monastery and the sky are competing for visual interest, both because the sky is bright and the size is relatively significant compared to the monastery. If you crop the image to greatly reduce the sky, more attention will be given to the monastery. Second, but I think less important, the trees in the distance show a bluing relative to those closer. I believe this is a result of haze. A (circular) polarizing filter should reduce this effect.
It's an awesome structure and I understand your fascination with it, and desire to do it justice.
Thanks for sharing.

(Added after staring at the image a bit longer You might also rotate the image to make the monastery truly horizontal instead of slightly tilted. Just my opinion.
12-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jford Quote
I don't know how a pro would have handled it. I'm just giving my opinion.
A tripod would have helped, particularly if you wanted to increase the depth of field. I'm not convinced that that would be the best way to make the photo more visually exciting. It seems to me that right now, there are two major factors detracting from the impact. First, I think the monastery and the sky are competing for visual interest, both because the sky is bright and the size is relatively significant compared to the monastery. If you crop the image to greatly reduce the sky, more attention will be given to the monastery. Second, but I think less important, the trees in the distance show a bluing relative to those closer. I believe this is a result of haze. A (circular) polarizing filter should reduce this effect.
It's an awesome structure and I understand your fascination with it, and desire to do it justice.
Thanks for sharing.

(Added after staring at the image a bit longer You might also rotate the image to make the monastery truly horizontal instead of slightly tilted. Just my opinion.
Thank you for the insightful feedback. The excitement of learning something new...you made my day!