Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-01-2012, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #1

My babies
Lens: SMC 35mm DA 1.2 Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Home ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F2.4 

I cannot post most of the photos that I take at work, simply because of the personal nature of them. But I caught a photo of my kids last night and it shows a problem that I often have in many of my photos. This was a random quick grab shot using lamp light in the evening. My kids bounce off the walls and stuff like this is hard to catch. I really wanted to focus on my baby's eyes, but didn't quite make it. I'm not sure if it's user error, or simply difficult to do with a K-x. Any tips or tricks to help me work that out would be great. Any other thoughts regarding the photo or PP would be great. Thanks!

Attached Images

Last edited by therevslady; 12-01-2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Image too large
12-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't really help with your focus problem - after thirty years of manual cameras, I still have problems with autofocus. But it's a lovely shot - even with the issues. Nice work.
Thanks for sharing.
12-02-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree that it is a very nice image. I expect it will long be treasured by the members of your family.
The combination of ISO, shutter speed and aperture suggest to me that it would have been difficult if not impossible to focus more precisely on your baby's eyes. The focus appears to be very sharp on your older daughter's extended finger, which is very close to the same distance from your lens. You might try using a very selective software tool to increase the sharpness in processing. But I suspect that won't achieve much improvement.
You might try darkening at least a bit the bright area in the background at left or perhaps duplicating the color of the background at right and pasting it into the background area at left.
Best wishes and respectfully,
Stu
12-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You got the shot under pretty tough conditions. Be pleased and enjoy. If you can hit the buttons fast enough you can shoot in burst mode where small hand motions will bring different areas into focus and where you might, if lucky, get a real winner. But you won't beat this one by much.

12-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your compliments and thoughts. I appreciate it!