Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Green Cups
Lens: Pentax A 50 2.8 Macro Camera: K-30 

So, this was the original processed photo that I had.... I thought it looked good- until I printed it on 8x10 and viewed it on a better monitor... ick!

Here is my second touched-up version, I think that it looks better to me, but still have yet to print it out.

What do you guys think?
Does it look fine or too touched-up?
I deliberately left the shadow on the left and didn't go full-blown white on the background, thinking that it would make it appear faked.

12-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello Julie
I don't think it looks too touched up but I'm one who pushes my images around a lot sometimes. I can see your point of leaving the shadow to ground the cups so they don't seem to be floating. I might suggest a white woven fabric background that stands out more. ( I added some texture in my edit to show what I mean.) It looks like you might have used a white table cloth but it's hard to tell. I would suggest cropping a smidge, say 5% off the top. Seems a little too empty up there. The other aspect that could be modified are the highlights from the light source. It's OK on the middle cup but the top one has a burnt out hot spot. Perhaps changing the angle or distance or further diffusion would solve it or toning it down in pp. The color seems to me to be a touch blue and corrected it to what looks neutral on my monitor. I did a quick edit to show what I mean( a picture is worth a thousand words and all that) and posted it here. Suggested crop, color adjust, texture, toned down highlights and dodge and burn. Just my take on it. It might not be what you were working towards at all. http://www.flickr.com/photos/69407470@N06/8236299093/in/photostream/

Cheers
Greg
12-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Technically, the photo is perfectly OK. But I have another question: as a concept photo, it should have a clear message, right? I mean, sorry for asking you to explain it, but I really don't understand if it's more than 3 empty cups stacked one on top of the other.
12-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory_51 Quote
Hello Julie
I don't think it looks too touched up but I'm one who pushes my images around a lot sometimes. I can see your point of leaving the shadow to ground the cups so they don't seem to be floating. I might suggest a white woven fabric background that stands out more. ( I added some texture in my edit to show what I mean.) It looks like you might have used a white table cloth but it's hard to tell. I would suggest cropping a smidge, say 5% off the top. Seems a little too empty up there. The other aspect that could be modified are the highlights from the light source. It's OK on the middle cup but the top one has a burnt out hot spot. Perhaps changing the angle or distance or further diffusion would solve it or toning it down in pp. The color seems to me to be a touch blue and corrected it to what looks neutral on my monitor. I did a quick edit to show what I mean( a picture is worth a thousand words and all that) and posted it here. Suggested crop, color adjust, texture, toned down highlights and dodge and burn. Just my take on it. It might not be what you were working towards at all. Suggested edit of Julie's green cups | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cheers
Greg
Hi Greg, thanks for all your suggestions, I will consider them.
I really like your idea for the texture.

Thanks!

12-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Technically, the photo is perfectly OK. But I have another question: as a concept photo, it should have a clear message, right? I mean, sorry for asking you to explain it, but I really don't understand if it's more than 3 empty cups stacked one on top of the other.
I wasn't really going for any meaning behind the photo.
It is for the 12 elements/principles of art; this photo happens to be for "form/shape".