Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #1

Harbor Light
Lens: DA35 f2.4 Camera: K7 Photo Location: Nassau Baamas ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F8 

Another photo from my recent cruise, with a first experiment with NIK Siver Efex Pro2. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
12-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello Bob
NIK silver efex is an excellent plugin. Converting a color RGB image to b&w is the best way to go. The scene is pleasant with a nice grouping of elements. The buoy in the foreground, the lighthouse on the left vertical third. A little implied action from the waves breaking on the shore. You said you were just starting out with the software. You will find it is very flexible. One thing that can change things greatly are the color filters in the right hand panel. The default is no filter but if you click on the various color filters they will behave like the old color filters did when shooting b&w film. Red will darken blue skies, green with lighten green foliage etc. Suggestions for this image. I find it a touch flat and muddy. The histogram shows it is. If you add a levels layer and click auto it will add some snap. You can do the corrections in silver efex too. I think it would be improved if you cropped a bit of the sky out. That brings the horizon closer to the upper horizontal thirds line. I did some quick edits, brightened, dodged and burned, and sharpened a bit. Posted it here as an example of what I mean. http://www.flickr.com/photos/69407470@N06/8238992865/in/photostream
Cheers
Greg

Last edited by Gregory_51; 12-02-2012 at 07:13 PM.
12-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
Greg - thanks so much for your feedback and taking the time to suggest improvements!
12-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #4

Original Poster
Harbor Light v2

Second effort incorporating some feedback.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
12-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello Bob
Thanks, glad I could help with some suggestions. The fine tuning can be subject to personal taste a lot of the time. Sometimes it looks different depending on the monitor and whether or not it's been calibrated. On your reworked image I find it a bit too contrasty for my taste now and the darks are starting to block up. Adding a curves layer and lifting the darks would be beneficial I think. Again a lot of variables but the great thing with digital is you can make different versions and tweak them to get just what you like.
Cheers
Greg