Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #1

Little Girl Has Hot Chocolate
Lens: FA 50mm/F1.4 Camera: K-30 Photo Location: San Antonio ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F4.5 

Does this work?

There is a little noise at ISO 1600 at 100%, but I loved the fact that the K-30 gave me the option to use it, providing enough depth to keep the picture sharp despite the back lighting.

How could I have done this better, retaining spontaneity & avoiding flash?

I considered shooting from the top but wanted to avoid the distraction of an in-focus table top.

Should I crop out the little space on top and to the right?

12-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a very nice image.
The doorknob and bright areas at right are a mild distraction. Perhaps you'd like to invest some time in dealing with that in software.
You could try cropping from the right — very close to the cup. But I suspect that her arm adds something to the image.
12-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is not especially interesting to the non-family member, I think. Can't really make out her face, the gray sweater is nothing special, the background is ho-hum. Leveling the horizon may remove some the the bright area and crop the top a little.

It's good family snap, but I might not keep it if I had something similar and better.
12-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It is not especially interesting to the non-family member, I think. Can't really make out her face, the gray sweater is nothing special, the background is ho-hum. Leveling the horizon may remove some the the bright area and crop the top a little.

It's good family snap, but I might not keep it if I had something similar and better.
Hmm...the photo is intended to capture what we have all seen so many times...a child taking his / her fix of hot chocolate first thing in the morning after freshening up. I believe the face is irrelevant, the focus is on a familiar sight.

Your point about the dull attire and background is well taken, but wouldn't a posed photo in a good dress with an interesting background have struck a discordant note with the theme of the photo?

Leveling the horizon, does reduce the bright area in the background.

Thanks for the insight.

12-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by Inexorable Quote
Does this work?

There is a little noise at ISO 1600 at 100%, but I loved the fact that the K-30 gave me the option to use it, providing enough depth to keep the picture sharp despite the back lighting.

How could I have done this better, retaining spontaneity & avoiding flash?

I considered shooting from the top but wanted to avoid the distraction of an in-focus table top.

Should I crop out the little space on top and to the right?
I agree with smf, you need to get rid of the background. Not just the door knob, also the door or at least tone down the highligt in the window in the door. This is doable in your favorite image processing program.

I wouldn't suggest a posed photo and a nice dress, though!
12-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Inexorable Quote
.. but wouldn't a posed photo in a good dress with an interesting background have struck a discordant note with the theme of the photo?
I did not say you need those things - but plain gray, plain white, and plain wood is not so interesting. I don't get the feeling of "first cup in the morning". But of course, candids are by nature minimally-planned.
12-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I did not say you need those things - but plain gray, plain white, and plain wood is not so interesting. I don't get the feeling of "first cup in the morning". But of course, candids are by nature minimally-planned.
Here is a tweaked version of the photo based on everyone's suggestions.

I am learning, so let me know if there is something more I could have done.

A big thank your for all the suggestions that you have already given.

Hopefully, one day I will be rich enough in knowledge to repay the debt! :-)

12-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #8
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done!
Best wishes.