Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2012, 04:52 AM   #1

Pouring wine
Lens: Sigma 50mm 1.4 Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Studio ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F6.7 

Hey guys,
in the past few days I did some shots of which I thought and still think they might be (at least) a good basis for some great images with some efforts in Lightroom. As all of those 3 shots show completely different sceneries I will put each of those images in a single thread as I want to avoid the whole discussion going crazy about which image s.o. is talking about right now. Anyway, after having worked with the images for some time I feel like I managed to achieve some decent shots, but not the very last touch to make it an image to match my ideas when I saw the scenery.
So anything along “I recommend boosting the red colors” or whatever is highly appreciated.
Thanks for reading, watching, and hopefully criticising.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This picture is technically flawless. Not a thing to criticize, honestly. I think you achieved your purpose.
12-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not try portrait orientation to show off more of the stream of wine? Maybe faster shutter for less motion blur of the liquid, but its okay as it is. The photo is great, though, I'm just nitpicking for the sake of it
Oh, and maybe make it slightly darker? Wine is usually a slightly deeper red (because its not so well lit lol)
12-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Portrait mode, faster shutter speed to freeze the motion. Unless you want it to be blurry ... which is fine too .
A nice video to watch for this (and maybe get more tips)

12-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hello
These shots are difficult to do, and messy too I imagine. Overall very nice, my nitpick would be the edge of the glass on the right side isn't defined. The left side has a defined edge but the right side just sort of blurs out. Perhaps a black card on the right side to give a delineated edge. My 2 cents.
Cheers
Greg
12-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies so far.
About portrait mode: I personally am a big fan of landscape orientation, still, what I draw from your comments is that I should have (not possible anymore because of the framing I chose with the camera) given the stream of whine more space and importance as one central element of the composition. I'll keep that in mind for my next tries :-)
QuoteQuote:
Oh, and maybe make it slightly darker? Wine is usually a slightly deeper red (because its not so well lit lol)
I will tweak the color / brightness of the whine a little. Play with the sliders and see what works best. As the light came from behind the white glass in the background the overall look was a little brighter than what we are used to.
QuoteQuote:
Perhaps a black card on the right side to give a delineated edge.
Greg, I actually used black cards (check out the stand of the glass). But you are right. The right edge isn't as defined as it should be. Luckily this is an editing flaw. The original image does have the information, so I'll tweak that part of the image again. One of my biggest problem is actually working with a not calibrate (I suppose not even calibratable) and glossy laptop screen :-/

Again, thanks for your help!
12-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
Well, I gave it another try. Tried to improve the edges and colors, to make it look more like a complete glass and real whine.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I really think that the blur is ruining the image. Everything is nice and crisp and then ... there is that smudge .
Try and re-take the picture.

I also understand that you like landscape mode more ... but you have to understand that you have too much empty space on the right. This type of shot will require a portrait mode.
For landscape, try and zoom on the glass and fill your frame.

Maybe also loose the bottom line (the table's edge I assume)!? That should clean it up a bit more. Or ... maybe even put the glass further from the edge to give some depth!?

P.S. - or try and fill that empty spot with something ... maybe some cheese!?

Last edited by mrNewt; 12-07-2012 at 09:15 AM.
12-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the shot, but somehow I am missing the bottle (or atleast a part of it)
12-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I agree a portrait would look better than landscape, also the blue line at the bottom is distracting. It's a nice image, and I'm not used to seeing this type of image with the blurred wine in the glass, which makes it unique. However, it's also a bit too unusual and a sharp splash might please the viewer's eyes better.

The second image is quite a bit better showing the shape of the glass. I think the only thing I can add to the other suggestions is to step back and use a longer lens. I'd rather see the rim of the glass from the top instead of the bottom. The 50mm is probably too wide, backing up and using a longer lens might allow you to see the top of the glass.
12-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Awesome shot. I love the movement.
12-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I'd like to see it with less blur.
12-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to disagree with those that don't like the blur. I think it is way more interesting than it would be without it. I do like the second version better than the first, though, and including a bit of the bottle might be something to try. Nice job.
12-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I agree, keep the blur. You see plenty of these type of pictures with sharp liquid, it's a refreshing change to see more movement in the liquid.
01-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The blur doesn't bother me. I like the idea of trying to add more depth and perhaps perspective by setting the glass back on the table a bit more and perhaps shooting from a slightly higher perspective.

I don't necessarily see a problem with the landscape perspective, but you definitely need more of the stream going into the glass and potentially part of the bottle. Even if the white space remains on the right, I don't think that is so bad. I realize that empty space doesn't necessarily make for great composition, but it doesn't hurt to break the rules either. Shots like this would be boring if everyone kept with the rules (thus the beauty of the blur you have). I would personally try to keep the focus of the composition completely in one half purposely for the imbalance. If it is too imbalanced, you might add a very small element to the opposite half: small piece of cheese, a cork, a corkscrew, a small puddle of spilled wine, etc.

I love the colors in the second attempt, too. It was a bit too juice like in the first shot.