Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Hockey portrait attempt
Lens: Tamron 18-250 Camera: K-r ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/150s Aperture: F8 

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I had a chance to grab an extra locker room before my boys' hockey practice so I could try and experiment with some portrait ideas I had in mind. While I like where these are headed, I can tell they're ok but not great. One thing I feel I need is a second flash or a light to fill the background just enough so they don't cast such a dark shadow. I'd really like to hear other suggestions on improving these. It may be a while, but I'm sure I'll take another stab at shooting photos like this. Any critique is welcome, everything from camera & lighting to subject position etc... Let me have it.

Last edited by HockeyDad; 12-09-2012 at 06:26 AM.
12-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful pics. I happen to like the shadows.
12-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Doc! I was going for a harsh / contrasty look. In the end though I felt like the shadows were maybe too strong.
12-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HockeyDad Quote
Thanks Doc! I was going for a harsh / contrasty look. In the end though I felt like the shadows were maybe too strong.
I agree with psychdoc. I do not think the shadows are too strong. Well done.

12-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello
I can see going for the dramatic look for these kinds of shots. I think the poses and framing are fine. I think the sweater on the wall works better on the second one. In the first one I find distracting and would work better without it. First it's right behind the player and looks cluttered. Second I keep looking at it since it's bright white and I keep wondering what number it is and why the number is so huge. So to me at least it's a distraction and any distraction weakens the image. The other issue are the harsh shadows especially on the first one. There is no detail or separation of the subject from the wall on the right side. Also the helmet has cast a shadow on the players left leg and skate so they are nearly invisible. As you have already suggested a second light or reflector to get some light on the shadow side would help. Another option might be one of those led panel lights, daylight balance and adjustable intensity. So overall I think the second one works best, the light is less harsh and the placement of elements works better although I still think a little fill on the shadow side would be better. My 2 cents.
Cheers
Greg
12-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Both photos are pretty decent attempts, really.

I tend to like the first one better because the player is more visible in the frame and better lighted. I really like his pose, especially the way the helmet is held by his gloved hands. Well done. The positioning of the jersey is a little off, the bulge in the cast shadow is clumsy, but overall the feeling is pretty good.

The main problem with the second one is that you are trying to squeeze too much into the frame. The boy--especially his head, which is the only exposed flesh--looks way too diminutive within the frame as he is swallowed by the gear. His posture of being pressed against the wall simply emphasizes this problem. It is OK to define a person within a portrait by their tools, but the primary purpose of the shot is to highlight the core of the individual. The boy's look in the first shot shows this, the second one does not. Lighting is certainly problematic, but it is secondary in importance here.

M
12-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for your input! While I feel having the jersey in the image is important because their numbers are very important to the boys, I completely agree it should have been positioned differently in that 1st image so that he's not overlapping, maybe even swapping the dark and light jerseys so that he was wearing the lighter color and the darker jersey would fade into the background and be more subtle.

While I'm not ready to step up to a big light panel, much less drag it around with me, I love the idea of a reflector. I bet that would lend just the right amount of background lighting. Not to mention, it's cheap, portable and whoever isn't in the shot can hold it for me.

For the goalie pic, I tried some without the stick and helmet but they didn't work out because I messed up the exposure on some and his pose was terrible on others. I actually started there and worked my way up to having all the gear. I like the comment though and when I try again, I think I'll leave the extras out. Part of the issue in that shot is that his head really is dwarfed by the chest-protector. He wears a very beefy chest protector because he defends against player 4 years older than him and well... slapshots can sting. :-)

This is all really great advice!

12-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

As a follow up. I kind of like that the goalie is so small in the frame. He's a young kid and the goalie equipment is so bulky. At such a young age it's almost like the equipment is wearing him rather than him wearing the equipment. It's a wonder that they can move around in it. As for the light panel, I was referring to the small LED panels like this as an example WanSen W160 LED Video Camera Light F Canon Nikon sony stronger than CN-126 D147 | eBay Tons of these on Ebay. I'm looking to get one or two for myself. Haven't decided on the make or number of LEDs yet. To get a decent sized reflector they would cost about the same and be more bulky even folded up. But again if you get a 5in1 type they have multiple uses too. Depends on what works best for you.
12-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Greg, those are really cool! Do you think it would throw enough light for background fill? I added a 5-in-1 collapsible reflector kit as well as a Yongnuo manual flash to my Christmas wishlist but I could see something like this being nice to have too.
12-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Part of the issue in that shot is that his head really is dwarfed by the chest-protector. He wears a very beefy chest protector because he defends against player 4 years older than him and well... slapshots can sting. :-)
when I try again, I think I'll leave the extras out.
Many excellent portraits deftly convey the relationship of a person with their tools by being more artistic than literal. Consider what the minimal props are necessary for these kind of shots. I assume the customer of the portraits are the parents who probably place more value on the kid over the gear--if not now, then later when he is much older. To me, while portraits are clearly a "snapshot" of the present, their intention is more for posterity.

M
12-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Consider what the minimal props are necessary for these kind of shots.
Definitely good advice, when I try again, I will be sure to try and reduce the gear for this style shot... besides, there's plenty of images of him in full gear, on the ice.

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I assume the customer of the portraits are the parents who probably place more value on the kid over the gear
You assume correctly. But, the "customer" is me since these are both actually my boys. However, since the little one has a tendency to break expensive sticks, let's not undervalue the gear too much.

But seriously, I think there's a line I need to find. It's easy with a player because their gear is smaller. Goalies are different, they have so much heavy "armor". Of course the person is the subject, but the gear is an important part of not just defining a goalie as a goalie, but also, in a way, impressing on the viewer, the difficulty of being a goalie. I actually think I'll retry the seated poses without the stick, helmet, glove & blocker. Then maybe try a leaning on a wall or walking by the lockers kind of shot where he's upright in full gear, maybe with the helmet tipped up on top of his head...
12-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Greg, those are really cool! Do you think it would throw enough light for background fill? I added a 5-in-1 collapsible reflector kit as well as a Yongnuo manual flash to my Christmas wishlist but I could see something like this being nice to have too.
Yes they look very handy. I'm looking at getting one or two in the 200-300 LED range. They look like they throw enough light. Check out YouTube. They have lots of videos reviewing and showing the light they put out.