Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #1

Little Girl's Sunday Out with Mommy
Lens: 18-135mm Camera: K-30 Photo Location: San Marcos, TX ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F8 

Does this work? I didn't want the faces, to keep the focus on the activity.

How could I have shot this better? It's a candid.

I have learn't so much here, I am getting greedy!

12-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the faces are necessary to give a character or some personality to the photo. As it is, it leaves me wondering who these people are and whether they're enjoying their time on the wharf. As such, a high perspective in this type of shot doesn't work as well as a side on or front on shot with facial expressions to match the intent of the image.
12-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
fully share the opinion of Ash! Especially when photographing people, does not fit the recourse of "eagle", which sets the models in an inferior position!
greeting
12-12-2012, 05:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I think the faces are necessary to give a character or some personality to the photo. As it is, it leaves me wondering who these people are and whether they're enjoying their time on the wharf. As such, a high perspective in this type of shot doesn't work as well as a side on or front on shot with facial expressions to match the intent of the image.
@Ash, @Velja thank you for your critique. Both of you are probably right, but in this case I will stick with my exploratory line of photography, firm in the belief that in some situations face(s) are irrelevant, even distracting.

As I stated, the photos are candids, and getting the right illumination and angles to light up the face could have caused me to miss the moment... the joy that was clearly evident.

Here are some other photos from the series, which make my point, but possibly reiterate what you say. :-)

I am determined to explore the simplicity in such photography some more.

What I want to know is: how could I have expressed myself better in these photos, without resorting to displaying faces?

I am not being dismissive of the critique, just hoping to rise above the challenge that I face.

12-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A tighter shot of the feet to the knees (slightly above to include some color) would say as much without the distracting big head, and sunglasses :-)
12-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think the first picture you have posted will look much better if you would take the picture from higher above.
If you do not show the faces, then at least "put your subjects inside a story". Show the environment, create some mood.
You can create that effect by using a monopod and rise it above your head, pointing down. Will take a few tries to get it right .

And for the last ones, same idea. Make them "walk into a story". A wider lens (maybe even fisheye lens) will do the trick just fine.
Not my picture, nor do I try to advertise anyone, but this the first picture that I found to illustrate what I am trying to say:
Walking into the Light | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I guess what I am trying to say is ... "If you don't show faces ... show places ".
12-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
A tighter shot of the feet to the knees (slightly above to include some color) would say as much without the distracting big head, and sunglasses :-)
A tighter crop does help, as in the photo below. Thanks!

Last edited by Inexorable; 12-15-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Photo link got lost in the quick reply.
12-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I think the first picture you have posted will look much better if you would take the picture from higher above.
If you do not show the faces, then at least "put your subjects inside a story". Show the environment, create some mood.
You can create that effect by using a monopod and rise it above your head, pointing down. Will take a few tries to get it right .

And for the last ones, same idea. Make them "walk into a story". A wider lens (maybe even fisheye lens) will do the trick just fine.
Not my picture, nor do I try to advertise anyone, but this the first picture that I found to illustrate what I am trying to say:
Walking into the Light | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I guess what I am trying to say is ... "If you don't show faces ... show places ".
Thanks for the excellent suggestions...there will be a next time :-)

12-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Inexorable Quote
A tighter crop does help, as in the photo below. Thanks!
I agree, it is better. The feet and water is what it is about :-)