Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Professor
Lens: A 50 1.7 Camera: K7 ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F2.4 

Comments and critiques would be nice (:

Last edited by kaiserz; 12-12-2012 at 10:37 PM.
12-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Portrait Photo

Hello Kaiserz,
First off, I like the pose, lighting and how well you pulled the textures out, particularly the material of his sweater against the dark background.
But, I'm not much of a fan of the "Dragan Effect", which seems to be what you used in pp.
That finely-etched, carved-in-stone look does give the photo more drama, but it's too harsh and unflattering for my taste. In particular, the fingers of his right hand look shiny and wax-like, as well as his left ear.
Overall, it's a good photo, just not to my taste. I realize others like the Dragan "look" so perhaps I'm just old-fashioned!
Ron
12-13-2012, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed. The HDR look to the portrait works in very limited settings, but not this one. It brings out too much skin texture detail which is usually less desirable than just getting the lighting to flatter the subject.
12-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is one of the better portraits I've seen here. You have illuminated the man's character and some form of his essence excellently. I've seen far more intensive Dragan makeovers; this one works quite well for me and doesn't call attention to itself, especially with the black and charcoal combo.

Put this in your portfolio.

M

12-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Kaiserz,
First off, I like the pose, lighting and how well you pulled the textures out, particularly the material of his sweater against the dark background.
But, I'm not much of a fan of the "Dragan Effect", which seems to be what you used in pp.
That finely-etched, carved-in-stone look does give the photo more drama, but it's too harsh and unflattering for my taste. In particular, the fingers of his right hand look shiny and wax-like, as well as his left ear.
Overall, it's a good photo, just not to my taste. I realize others like the Dragan "look" so perhaps I'm just old-fashioned!
Ron
Thank you. I really appreciate the comment. And yes I used a subtle(to me) Dragan "look" and harsh lighting with lil to no diffusion. And thank you for pointing out the right finger being shiny and wax like. I didn't even notice it. it's probably my screen (:

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Agreed. The HDR look to the portrait works in very limited settings, but not this one. It brings out too much skin texture detail which is usually less desirable than just getting the lighting to flatter the subject.

Thank you. for the comment much appreciated (:
12-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
This is one of the better portraits I've seen here. You have illuminated the man's character and some form of his essence excellently. I've seen far more intensive Dragan makeovers; this one works quite well for me and doesn't call attention to itself, especially with the black and charcoal combo.

Put this in your portfolio.

M
Thank you Mr. M (:! That's what I was after. To show his greatness, his knowledge, his essence as a professor. Like an old tree full of wisdom. I didn't went with the "glamour" style of portraiture... it's too... normal... and expected... Thank you Mr. M, coming from you this comment means a lot to me !
12-15-2012, 04:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I like it it alot. I do not not really have critique on the shot. Personally I would have liked the background with a bit more scientific writing on the blackboard.

12-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
I like it it alot. I do not not really have critique on the shot. Personally I would have liked the background with a bit more scientific writing on the blackboard.
Thank you so much (: yeah that'll be awesome if there were more stuff in there. but sadly he erased some of our discussions on the board.
12-17-2012, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Awesome shot.
I love the way you treated this portrait. Its definitely very portrait...not glamour.

I would take care of the colour of the right hand to match skin - so it doesnt look waxy, I would also take care of the deep shadow on the right side of his face (corner of mouth)..its so deep it looks like an actual hole.
Other than that...awesome.

here is another person who would probably agree :
Dan Winters Photography
12-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Awesome shot.
I love the way you treated this portrait. Its definitely very portrait...not glamour.

I would take care of the colour of the right hand to match skin - so it doesnt look waxy, I would also take care of the deep shadow on the right side of his face (corner of mouth)..its so deep it looks like an actual hole.
Other than that...awesome.

here is another person who would probably agree :
Dan Winters Photography
Thank you so much (:! And WOW those are awesome portraits! you've turned me into a dan winters fan!

Last edited by kaiserz; 12-17-2012 at 10:07 PM.
12-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

Absolutely stunning rendering of a very interesting face. Rembrandt would have painted this in a similar way, except he would have used more of a yellow highlight, the style of the time.

You have done exceptionally well the way you executed this portrait.

Rembrandt mockup attached just for fun.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 02-16-2013 at 01:51 AM.
12-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

Absolutely stunning rendering of a very interesting face. Rembrandt would have painted this in a similar way, except he would have used more of a yellow highlight, the style of the time.

You have done exceptionally well the way you executed this portrait.

Rembrandt mockup attached just for fun.
Thank you sir (:
12-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Very well done, a tad dark to me, not much, and yeah I wish there had been some distinct writing on the chalk board too, that would have made a great background I think. Nice shot. I would have brightened it slightly, otherwise very good.
12-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
Very well done, a tad dark to me, not much, and yeah I wish there had been some distinct writing on the chalk board too, that would have made a great background I think. Nice shot. I would have brightened it slightly, otherwise very good.
Thank you sir (:
12-29-2012, 04:23 AM   #15
smf
Pentaxian

I like it very much.
In addition to dealing with the hand, you might want to consider tweaking (not cropping) the image to eliminate the wood at bottom. I consider it to be an extremely slight distraction.
Also, I'm glad the writing on the chalkboard is very blurry and that there's not more writing. I think greater sharpness there and more writing might be distracting.
Best wishes, and I hope to see much more of your work.