Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #1

Heron Takes Flight
Lens: 18-135 Camera: K-30 Photo Location: San Marcos ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F5.6 

Perhaps capturing the bird against the reflection wasn't a good idea? Makes the background too busy? Should you always aim for a bokeh?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

12-15-2012, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You captured the bird (is that a heron? it looks like an egret to me, but I'm not familiar with the birds of your neighborhood) in a graceful position. It seems like a dull looking day, so your ISO choice was appropriate. Shutter was sufficient to freeze the action which you did well. The exposure on the bird's neck and beak is good too.

A few aesthetic and technical issues are present. Yes the background is way too distracting--even if you shot at a wide open aperture, it would be too much. Bokeh is not a thing, but a quality, so your question is a bit off. Generally you want a background that offsets the bird (or athlete) in the foreground to enhance the subject's dimensionality. When things are good, the background additionally complements the subject by showing a natural environment or perhaps a juxtaposition.

Positioning the bird more to the right side of the frame enhances a feeling of movement and energy. The right wing (and the top of the left one) of the bird is overexposed. This is common with white things. Selectively darkening the wing with software would mostly fix this problem. You want to see feather definition there.

I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunities to practice photographing birds like this, so keep posting.

M
12-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't dispute Miguel's points.

That said, I admire the photograph. I recommend the selective darkening Miguel suggested.

Best wishes, and I hope to see more of your photographs.

Also, you might want to look at the work of Arthur Morris, some of which can be seen here:
Arthur Morris/BIRDS AS ART
12-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like it
Looks like a Great Egret, which is a Heron technically.
Trying for the perfect shot always keeps me going.

12-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
It turns out that my overzealous PP was the reason for the blowout on the wings, not the K-30 sensor and the 18-135 kit combo! The fact that I let the blowout slip is eloquent testimony to my newbie status!

I have now darkened the background, somewhat mitigating the problem with the busy background...?