Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #1

Heron in Flight with Cool Reflection
Lens: 18-135 Camera: K-30 Photo Location: San Marcos ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F5.6 

I didn't post this photo earlier for two reasons.

1. It was taken from nearly twice the distance of the shot that I posted earlier. I cropped nearly 3 Mb of the 6+ MB original to get to this zoom, which is similar to the earlier photo.

2. You can't see the black in the Heron's eye!

3. The photo is less sharp.

Also, being a former fighter pilot, I liked the position of the bird's wings in the earlier shot.

Thanks to the help that I have been receiving from members of this forum, I am now growing more confident of my PP abilities.

I am offering this one for critique because all the above shortcomings notwithstanding this photo comes with a cool reflection of the Heron in still water.

Also the background, darkened with a tweak of the curve, is far less busy than in the earlier shot.

Would I be correct in retaining both the photos? Any more critique?

12-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The reflection makes it. Everything else you said is true also.
12-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is a much more engaging shot. The bird's spread wings are luscious, especially in the reflection.

I think you are short shrifting yourself by keeping the background so dark and murky. There are muted greens lurking in there that complement the bird and add depth to the image. By upping the exposure the bird's eye also becomes more apparent. I'd also selectively brighten the bird's neck--it looks too grey.

For a little more pop, try using a small amount of negative clarity (-10 or so) and then add some more sharpening that will help the reflection.

Nice capture.

M
12-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
This is a much more engaging shot. The bird's spread wings are luscious, especially in the reflection.

I think you are short shrifting yourself by keeping the background so dark and murky. There are muted greens lurking in there that complement the bird and add depth to the image. By upping the exposure the bird's eye also becomes more apparent. I'd also selectively brighten the bird's neck--it looks too grey.

For a little more pop, try using a small amount of negative clarity (-10 or so) and then add some more sharpening that will help the reflection.

Nice capture.

M
Hi

In my very personal appraisal of the matter I absolutely agree with your assessment. And you prompted me to have a go to see if it makes any difference. And I think it does.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 02-16-2013 at 01:51 AM.
12-18-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

A really nice shot! Getting a bird in flight is difficult. This shot has a lot of things I like. The reflection of course makes the photo but also the open beak, capturing a little "personality" for lack of vocabulary this time of night. It's sharp and the dark water/white bird really stands out. Good job in my opinion.
12-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It's not a heron it's a Great White Egret. Nice shot. I won't attempt a critique, other than to say it's a nice shot, I like the reflection.
01-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, egrets are technically a type of heron, so I won't knock his original discussion.

As for the image, I like the second image, but on my screen it looks over-sharpened. I like the reflection better in the first shot, but I do like the improvements for the water overall.