Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2008, 09:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First attempt at using layers to combine exposures

On this forum, I have seen several beautiful photographs that were made by combining different exposures of the same scene to better show the dynamic range of that scene. I wanted to try this, so I tried the free photomatix program. I wasn't really happy the results, so I decided to try layers in photoshop. This was my first attempt. I used the lighter exposure as my background layer, then on top I selected the sky, feathered the selection by 12 pixels and erased the dark foreground.

I think my results are OK, but I wonder if anyone has any tips for combining layers like this. I am using Photoshop elements 6. Photoshop CS3 is beyond my budget at this time.

Feel free to process my photos if you want. Thanks for looking and thanks for any comments and tips for improvement.

Last edited by MikeLJ; 05-03-2008 at 04:10 PM.
02-15-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

HI Mike, I'm no expert but there looks like there is a sort of Halo effect where the sky and the mountains intersect. It just looks kind of unnatural to me. I dont use Photoshop. I have paint shop pro. Perhaps one of the photoshop gurus can tell you how to blend that white line in a bit better if you wish to smooth it out. Of course, if you were going for that effect, please disregard this post Other than that, the shot looks really nice
02-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Mr. Hyde, I'm glad you mentioned the halo effect around the rocks; that halo is the thing that bothers me most about the final result too. I also wonder if the sky is too dark compared to the background.
02-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Mike,

As I said, I'm no expert but I took the liberty of doing a HDR merge in Paint Shop Pro (X2 version). I used your two base photos. I merged them using the PSP X2 HDR merge and then just tweaked the saturation of the blues, greens and yellows.

tell me what you think.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 02-19-2008 at 09:29 PM.
02-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #5

Probably the easiest way to minimize the halo is to use one of the actual images to create a mask for blending. PS Elements doesn't allow layer mask so try GIMP or any editor that has them.
For the mask the image with dark ground is probably best. Convert it to grayscale and then fiddle with contrast and/or curves till you get an almost monochrome image. This should allow you to make an almost perfect separation between the dark and light area. You can also try to blur the mask a bit, but not too much otherwise you will run into the same halo problem again.
02-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
Mr Hyde:
I like what you did with the image, your version looks more natural than mine, and it is much better than I got with phtotmatix basic. Thanks for your feedback, I'm going to give it another try.
02-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
Procyon,
Thanks for the idea. I'm going to give it a try. I read about a way to group an adjustment layer with an image layer to create a layer mask in PS elements. If not I'll try your idea in GIMP.

02-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #8

Original Poster
Here is my next attempt

Thanks for the help, here is what I did using the mask technique. Let me know what you think. Any other tips/ideas would be welcome. BTW I am using the K100D with the 18-55 lens on this shot.

02-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Mike, it looks way better than the first attempt. Nice job
03-03-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Mike,

Your second attempt is much better than the first. It still looks a little choppy around the join. I little to sharp. Try using a small brush and blurring that line.
03-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #11

Original Poster
Several attempts later

Thanks for the input Jeff. This is what I have finally come up with. I think it is better than my previous attempts.