Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #1

A Cold & Lonely Night
Lens: DAL 18-55mm Camera: K-r Photo Location: Rochester, NY ISO: 800 

Well this could have fallen in a couple of categories so I just chose nature.

I posted the original picture and then the picture after using Picasa to edit. Just want to get opinions and suggestions that I could have done different. I dont have a great eye on for photo selection & I dont have very high end editing software (or much knowledge for that matter).

Thanks for at least looking

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
12-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not bad.
For night photography you will probably have to use a tripod (or something to place your camera on) and M mode (use a low ISO, aperture of up to f8 with that lens and an exposure of around 6 seconds). I even had some nice results with the scn mode and night shot HDR.
Other than that, the best you can do is look at good night cityscape photos and learn from what they do right, composition-wise, and then try to build on that.
Also, I just noticed you have a couple nice primes. I think those would be better suited for night photography, since they are sharper and can be used even at lower apertures. (of course, this depends on the weather, if its raining or snowing, you have to use a WR lens)
12-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the input.
I completely understand what you mean by shooting in M & using the low ISO. Since I was shooting it in Aperture priority & shooting by hand I figured the higher ISO would help me out. I see that after cropping the higher ISO (& the blowing snow) give it a grainy look. Earlier I had taken a few pictures using my 50mm f/2 & it didnt mind shooting at f5.6

Just keep shooting & keep reading, right?
12-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep. The thing with high-ISO noise is that some shots will show it more than other. In your photos you have some fine details, which get scrambled a little by noise.
Oh, and there are a couple good free raw converters/post processing software out there. you can try those, but keep in mind that making a photo brighter in post will bring out the noise even more.