Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Product Photography
Lens: 50mm fixed Camera: Pentax K-r Photo Location: Amherst, NH ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F11 

preparing for product shoot using mirrors, black in this shot, just starting off with a sample, any pointers are welcome thanks

Attached Images

12-23-2012, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good detail, DOF a bit shallow (for a product shot, IMO). I really think you ought to practice with mirrors, if you intended to use mirrors in the product shot.
Also, the color temperature of this shot works beautifully for this shot. But it may not be appropriate for the product you're actually going to use, particularly with mirrors.
Just my opinion(s).
Thanks for sharing.
12-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
This was shot on a black mirror, thanks for catching the depth of field though : )
12-24-2012, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your technique looks fine overall, and apart from the DOF, I'd recommend a slightly different perspective so you can see a bit more of the top of the product. As it is right now it's hard to tell if it's just a lit rock or a candle holder (or is it something else?)

You might also want to adjust the levels/contrast a bit to bring out a bit more detail toward the bottom of the rock.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-24-2012, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's a very nice start.

Would agree with what jford and Adam said.
Also, I'm not sure if your monitor is picking this up, because on mine, I can see where the mirror's edges end behind the camera. So I'd either suggest cloning it to black in post-processing or placing the object further away from the edge to make it less distracting.

Last edited by Julie; 12-24-2012 at 01:27 PM.
12-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Excellent! I cannot see that on my monitor, very very helpful thank you!!! I will try the cloning, when I do the actual shoot I have a large backdrop I will b using to correspond with the color mirror I'm using