Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #1

B&W - Landscapes - Detail - Greets to K5
Lens: 35mm f2,4 AL Camera: K 5 Photo Location: Banska Bystrica 

Hi all,
here are my first shots with my new K5. I am not really skilled shooting in snowy landscapes and I do have issues with lighting and composition there. Thanks for any suggestions.
Greets.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Inactive Account

B&W is my first love in magic. Post digital I shot B&W film processed and printed in my basement darkroom (not "Ligthroom"). Working in B&W contrast is the name of the game. You need black blacks and white whites.... Working with digital you have the opertunity to get these quite easily. Do the process (not the grayscale conversion) Check out Scott Kelby's books on photoshop for digital photographers. Easy read and a wealth of knoledge.

Onward,

dkw
12-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave Wiedemer Quote
B&W is my first love in magic. Post digital I shot B&W film processed and printed in my basement darkroom (not "Ligthroom"). Working in B&W contrast is the name of the game. You need black blacks and white whites.... Working with digital you have the opertunity to get these quite easily. Do the process (not the grayscale conversion) Check out Scott Kelby's books on photoshop for digital photographers. Easy read and a wealth of knoledge.

Onward,

dkw
Hi Dave,
thanks. Do the process - which one you mean? I also shoot B&W on film...but I am not printing for myself. I am going through the Zone System, but so far at the very beginning. I still do have problem with Important Highlights/Shadows with detail. I like to get it out of camera as much as possible.
Thanks for tip of book.
In terms of pics I posted - contrast...
12-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope you enjoy your new camera.
In the first photo, the wires bother me.
In the second photo, I think the photo would be stronger if the bush near the center was in sharper focus. Perhaps you'd like to try sharpening it with software such as Nik Software's Viveza 2.0, which is a plug-in to such software as Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Aperture and Lightroom. A free trial period is available. Also, I'd prefer greater contrast.
The third photo is interesting. I haven't identified the object.
Best wishes for the new year.
I'd prefer sharper focus or greater depth of field in the fourth photo, for which f/2.8 was used.

12-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
I hope you enjoy your new camera.
In the first photo, the wires bother me.
In the second photo, I think the photo would be stronger if the bush near the center was in sharper focus. Perhaps you'd like to try sharpening it with software such as Nik Software's Viveza 2.0, which is a plug-in to such software as Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Aperture and Lightroom. A free trial period is available. Also, I'd prefer greater contrast.
The third photo is interesting. I haven't identified the object.
Best wishes for the new year.
I'd prefer sharper focus or greater depth of field in the fourth photo, for which f/2.8 was used.
I really do enjoy my camera a lot. No doubt. I am still learning how to handle. Its first time I experiment AF - so I need to learn. Till now, I was most of time MF. Thanks for soft tip. I still fight a little with exposures.
In first photo - I love the wires. But please tell me, why thry bother you, so I might reconsider in terms of composition. I can not reshoot - only PP.
Second photo. I have corrected exposure a bit. Sharpening. I suppose I should shooted by MF. It was gloomy grey day - snow looked as grey as sky. It was challenge. I look at it still one more time.
Third one is blackthorn fruits (little black fruit balls only birds can eat - hope I am correct) on which melted and froze snow - so it created ice cover.

12-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by em-tx Quote
Second photo. I have corrected exposure a bit.
I was going to post that "white snow is white" :-)
12-29-2012, 04:10 AM   #7
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks very much for identifying the blackthorn fruits.
The fact that you like the wires matters more than my impression that they're a distraction. I do like the fact that they are on both sides of that vertical protrusion above the wall.
Also, I enjoyed very much photos I saw at your website.

Last edited by smf; 12-29-2012 at 04:16 AM. Reason: addition
12-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
Thanks very much for identifying the blackthorn fruits.
The fact that you like the wires matters more than my impression that they're a distraction. I do like the fact that they are on both sides of that vertical protrusion above the wall.
Also, I enjoyed very much photos I saw at your website.
Hm... My website is more of what I am interested in. Its shot with Samsung EX1 on Manual mode and focus - no PP, only crop. K5 is still a bit too complex to what I would like to get out of it.
I like the 4 diagonals (tower, 2 wires and bricks) against 3 verticals - stick, little tree on wall and relation to loudspeaker with hint of wires. For me it has impact.
12-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I was going to post that "white snow is white" :-)
True. But in reality colors of snow and sky was very greyish white...and almost you could not tell difference. Now photo has more whites and contrast, but uniformity of fog on sky and snow is lost - which made that seen very special to me and reason why I shot it.
I have similar experience with shooting fog over black see - it was a same color, in that case I really could not distinquish where is a horizon - where is sea and where is sky. But camera did. There is something wrong about my exposition.
any suggestion?
12-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by em-tx Quote
True. But in reality colors of snow and sky was very greyish white...and almost you could not tell difference. Now photo has more whites and contrast, but uniformity of fog on sky and snow is lost - which made that seen very special to me and reason why I shot it.
It is good to process the image to be how you saw it, but to the casual observer, the first one looks underexposed. Often images are underexposed on purpose to prevent "blown highlights" (such as in white clouds) which makes the rest of image appear too dark. I would be tempted to try pushing the contrast up a little, too.

Cheers.