Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
First attempt at portraits
Lens: Various limiteds Camera: K5 

Not really sure what I am doing so honest feedback appreciated. My goal is to shoot better pics of my family. Thanks in advance.

12-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow great portraits, especially for a first-timer. I like the colors in the photos, did you use a incident light meter?
12-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first one turned out pretty great I think. But I think you are keeping too much space above the people's heads. And you are using landscape orientation instead of.. well, portrait orientation. With portraits it is not uncommon to even cut off the person's forehead (for really 'intimate' shots). There are some classical rules for portrait photography composition that you have to learn before you can break them
In terms of technicalities and processing I don't think there are any problems
12-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Closed Account

"Not really sure what I am doing so honest feedback appreciated. My goal is to shoot better pics of my family. Thanks in advance."

Photographs are okay but I doubt you want okay. If you're not sure what you're doing, research and think about it until you have an idea. If your goal is to make it about the environment, make it all about the environment. If its all about the people, make it all about the people.

Spend some time reading and thinking about lighting ratios, high key vs low key and light qualities ( intensity, color, direction and quality - hard or soft). How those things set the mood will help you figure out the story you want to tell, the character of your photograph. A lot of this, you will know intuitively. Some of it, you'll have to think about.

12-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice work!

If I need to nitpick :

1st Picture : Too much space above the head. Rule of thirds would work well here - i would crop it tighter. Pretty sharp, but the sharpest area is on her outfit. Her face is a little softer. Nice colours!
2nd picture : Youngest kid is too soft/oof. Increase aperture..Great pose. Unfortunate placement of waterfall. Can you move it? It feels like a weird shower for the guy. Sometimes, we cant get it all. Choose either the background, or the people. These days my biggest worry is when a client says...I wanna take you to this nice park...there is this really nice..tree. or object .
3rd picture : A little too bright. The issue is the treatment of skin colour renders them the same as the background colour - making them blend.

Great job overall!
12-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Wow great portraits, especially for a first-timer. I like the colors in the photos, did you use a incident light meter?
Thank you LeDave. Not sure what a light meter is so the answer is no. I'll have to look into it. Are the pics too bright or is there something wrong with the lighting?

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The first one turned out pretty great I think. But I think you are keeping too much space above the people's heads. And you are using landscape orientation instead of.. well, portrait orientation. With portraits it is not uncommon to even cut off the person's forehead (for really 'intimate' shots). There are some classical rules for portrait photography composition that you have to learn before you can break them
In terms of technicalities and processing I don't think there are any problems
Thank you. Great comment about space above the head and orientation. Very good suggestions. Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ponosby Britt Quote
"Not really sure what I am doing so honest feedback appreciated. My goal is to shoot better pics of my family. Thanks in advance."

Photographs are okay but I doubt you want okay. If you're not sure what you're doing, research and think about it until you have an idea. If your goal is to make it about the environment, make it all about the environment. If its all about the people, make it all about the people.

Spend some time reading and thinking about lighting ratios, high key vs low key and light qualities ( intensity, color, direction and quality - hard or soft). How those things set the mood will help you figure out the story you want to tell, the character of your photograph. A lot of this, you will know intuitively. Some of it, you'll have to think about.
Thank you. I definitely have a lot of reading and learning to do. Asking experts like you is an important step in any research process. Thanks again.

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Nice work!

If I need to nitpick :

1st Picture : Too much space above the head. Rule of thirds would work well here - i would crop it tighter. Pretty sharp, but the sharpest area is on her outfit. Her face is a little softer. Nice colours!
2nd picture : Youngest kid is too soft/oof. Increase aperture..Great pose. Unfortunate placement of waterfall. Can you move it? It feels like a weird shower for the guy. Sometimes, we cant get it all. Choose either the background, or the people. These days my biggest worry is when a client says...I wanna take you to this nice park...there is this really nice..tree. or object .
3rd picture : A little too bright. The issue is the treatment of skin colour renders them the same as the background colour - making them blend.

Great job overall!
Excellent suggestions. Background vs. people.....very important question. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.

From the pictures already taken, it looks like I can "fix" the first one while the others will need reshoots. All of you have been very helpful. Thanks all.

Last edited by Sage97; 12-26-2012 at 11:47 PM.
12-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great beginning, exposure and focus are excellent, perhaps a bit tighter composition especially #1 and and to a lesser extent # 2 and #3. I think #1 would work better as a portrait orientation. #2 has boy's shoe cut off at bottom and has odd things happening at the top too. A rock just cut off and what looks like two posts jutting into frame. Experiment with different crops on these and you will be amazed at the difference it can make.

12-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Great beginning, exposure and focus are excellent, perhaps a bit tighter composition especially #1 and and to a lesser extent # 2 and #3. I think #1 would work better as a portrait orientation. #2 has boy's shoe cut off at bottom and has odd things happening at the top too. A rock just cut off and what looks like two posts jutting into frame. Experiment with different crops on these and you will be amazed at the difference it can make.
Thank you Bruce. Really appreciate your suggestions. I'll need to work on composition and a couple other things. Thanks again.