Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A church at night
Lens: 8mm Samyang Camera: K-R ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F8 

Took this using a tripod last night during the full moon.

Attached Images

12-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
smf
Pentaxian

I prefer the second image. And I like the light coming through the narrow window in the first image.
The second photo is memorable. And I don't object to surrealism.
I hope to see more of your photographs.
12-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I agree w/ SMF: the 2nd one is preferable, for me. The first one I'd like to see a) with a non-fisheye lens and b) without the blasted power lines messing up the picture, but there's little you can do about that. :-) Still, nice photos.
12-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NewportPreacher Quote
I agree w/ SMF: the 2nd one is preferable, for me. The first one I'd like to see a) with a non-fisheye lens and b) without the blasted power lines messing up the picture, but there's little you can do about that. :-) Still, nice photos.
+1 for the first one without the fisheye and the powerlines. great capture with the moon light through the clouds.

12-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
I've been fiddling with lightroom trying to reduce the distortion but I can't really get it to look right. I've been wanting a wide angle for a while, but with a college level budget it's difficult. The $220 pricetag on the 8mm samyang was the only thing I could afford. It can do some cool things I'm just learning how to manipulate it my advantage instead of having it look awkward. Power lines are incredibly frustrating haha.

It kills me because if I took more time to angle it properly I would have ended up with a better picture. It was a spontaneous decision driving past it to get some photos, and after being in the cold without gloves my hands started to freeze so I didn't give myself the time I really needed.
01-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I like the 1st shot as is without the power lines. I like the distortion effect on the steeples.
01-15-2013, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I took the liberty of taking a retouch brush to the first shot - yes, I wanted those power lines out just that badly that I had to do it. :P I also cropped off a little of the bottom just for personal taste to see what you think, but the big thing is the power lines. Even though if you look, you can tell easily, it's still a much more satisfying visual experience. I kept thinking of Mr. Bean trying to fix "Whistler's Mother" in his movie...

Hope you don't mind.

Attached Images

01-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now that I look at them, not sure my cropping on the bottom helped.
01-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #9

Original Poster
wow, I appreciate you taking the time to do this. And yeah, about the cropping..I drove myself crazy for about an hour doing that on this picture until I finally just got fed up with it, haha. I love it without the power lines though, thank you very much.
01-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, one other thing. On the second picture, I was scrolling up and down to look at it just now and it captured my eye at just the point where the right spire was visible and the left one was not. You might play around with cropping for dramatic effect.
01-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Its an interesting set of photos. A bit unusual to use a lens like that for this subject, but it works. I think you already got some good comments. I really like photo #2, but #1 is also good. The thing is, #2 is aesthetically pleasing, while #1 is challenging, because it bends the church in a weird way. the bending of rigid straight lines can be a statement of sorts, but the rest of the photo doesn't work (the power lines, for example, and the blown out moon). If you do something about those details, then the fisheye and church could still work together. Fisheye lenses are challenging to use. Maybe you can look into some night scene post-processing tutorials to get the most out of those photos, because the framing works. You could try doing night scene HDR (the in-camera from my experience is actually not bad, or you can use photoshop or something), but there might be a problem with clouds (because they move in between frames). That way you would have a well-exposed moon, church, and surroundings.
01-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #12

Original Poster
I basically gave up on #1, I had the vision of what I wanted but it's just not there and no amount of tweaking I've been able to do has left me satisfied.

The fisheye is extremely difficult to work with, especially since I really had landscape shots in mind I was beginning to feel I made the wrong choice with this lens..until I took this 500px / Untitled photo by Corey Moore. Now I'm hooked again and can't wait for my next great shot.