Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2012, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
starting to figure out the K10

I posted a photo elsewhere on the forum, and it's in the wrong spot, so I will be doing some here (in the correct forum) so you guys can tell me what I'm doing wrong)!! Here is one shot of the blizzard today...........

Attached Images

12-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Suggestions?

Hello Pasojoy,
Overall I think you've made a good image; It projects the feeling of the cold and isolation. The exposure is nearly perfect, perhaps 1/2 stop darker to bring out the contours of the snow in the foreground?
But, if I took the photo, I'd have PP'ed it differently. Personal taste, artistic preference, call it what you want, not better or worse.
I'd make it black and white. It's nearly there anyway, and (to me) B + W lends itself to still life photos, adds drama and mystery.
Then, I'd crop off about 1/4 of the length on the left and then some height to make a normal rectangle, 2:3 or slightly longer. To my eye, the partial branches to the left don't add to the composition, but the feathery thin branches to the right, do. They seem more interesting and help move the bench out of the center. A dead-center point of interest is a real photo-killer, unless you're showing a reflection or need symmetry for a pattern.
Again, just my personal tase or choice, the photo is fine the way it is!
Ron
12-29-2012, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Ron!! I almost DID go w/black and white........just learning about Lightroom photo editing, and thought this looked cool, actually, the 'bench' in the pic is what's still visible of my 12'x12' raised bed veggie garden......it DOES look like a bench now that you say that, LOL..........damn snow.
You made me feel really good about the exposure cause I am doing everything on manual, and have not done so on a DSLR camera before, and have been trying to get it 'right'........(but I think I did alter it a bit in LR).........I do agree with you on the trees in the background! Thanks again!!
Joy
12-29-2012, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #4
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentaxforums, and thanks for posting your very good photograph.
I'll nitpick.
I first noticed the light blue cast, which seems artificial. Converting to black and white, as Ron suggested, seems to be a good idea.
I don't know why, but my eye went to the fencepost at left. If you don't mind tampering with the image a bit, you might remove that post. Or you could crop a bit from the left, as Ron suggested.
I like the height.
Best wishes, and I hope to see more of your photographs.

12-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
More Suggestions?

Hello Joy,
Glad to hear my ideas were welcome. Although you've started with a very good photo, there's always room for a little "Tweaking". That's what's great about non-destructive editing, you can always go back!
Anyway, here's a link that has helped remind me and keep me grounded when I'm getting too far adrift with PP choices. The 10 guidelines to composition;
10 Top Photography Composition Rules | Photography Mad
In particular, the first 2 and "Depth" apply to your image. I'm constantly having to remind myself that it is OK to break the rules, as long as there's a reason. Without a compelling reason, the guidelines have stood the test of time and won't let you down. Sometimes I fiddle with an image and can't seem to get it right. A quick look at this page (link) brings it into focus.
Hope it helps!
Ron
12-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

A beautiful photo.
I have only one suggestion.
I always under expose my digital pictures.
A lot of detail is retained in the dark areas that may be revealed in Photoshop.
But washed out detail in the highlights are gone forever.
If the snow hasn't melted give it a try.
01-03-2013, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I came to very similar conclusions to Ron without having read his posts, and did my own bit of PP to get this:

Attached Images

01-03-2013, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #8

I don't mind the blue-ish cast, but the bright snow in the foreground is really distracting. I agree with rbefly that it would help to crop a bit on the left side. I think the most interesting element is the arching things to the right of the wooden structure. Are they wilted sunflowers?
01-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, they are sunflowers, or I should say 'were'......about 7-8 feet tall......I will try cropping as suggested!!
01-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Different but not necessarily better depending on what you originally wanted.
But something to think about.

Last edited by wildman; 01-20-2013 at 04:30 AM.
02-07-2013, 03:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi,
First of all I must say that I share the opinion of Ron!
Second. mistaken notion of categorization, abstract?
We must ask ourselves, what is there the abstract?
On this question, the responsibility of the author!
greeting
Velja