Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lake Tohopekaliga Mirror
Camera: Pentax Optio P80 Photo Location: Lake Tohopekaliga in Kissimmee, Florida 

Since the EXIF info for the Pentax Optio P80 reflects readings not found in the ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture drop-down lists, I'll give it here.
Exposure Time: 1/800 ISO Speed Rating: 64 FNumber: 2.64 Metering Mode: Multi-segment Focal Length 4.90mm Photo was taken at 16:08 EST (4:08pm EST). I was amazed by the near mirror surface of the lake and the beautiful colors of the sky and clouds. This is a point and shoot camera vs a DSLR.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio P80  Photo 
01-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful, although the horizon is just a hair off flat - a bit disturbing to me.
Still - beautiful
Thanks for sharing.
01-11-2013, 01:31 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Agree about the horizon; easily fixed. The foreground is a little too dark to feel part of the picture for me, but not dark enough to throw all my attention on the sky. As a result my eye keeps jumping between bench & sky. Maybe it's just me.
A gorgeous reflection -- you were really at the right place at the right time. If you wanted to go a little abstract you could stand at the edge of the water & just shoot water & sky -- no foreground. Hope you get the right conditions to do some more.
01-11-2013, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
I believe I have straightened the horizon in the upper photo.
I had originally also taken another photo while standing close to the edge of the walkway beside the lake. That photo is attached here as the lower photo.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio P80  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio P80  Photo 
01-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think I prefer the last one -- no human elements in it to distract. ...well except for that signpost thing or whatever is out in the lake. Maybe a teeny bit dark, particularly at the bottom. Also composition-wise, it's often suggested to not have the horizon right in the middle but rather on a third-line. You'd have to choose between reflection & sky, although if both are great I guess you could break the rule! I'd have enjoyed shooting this scene too
01-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I greatly admire your capture of the beautiful reflection, especially of the clouds with the most white.
I prefer the second image, and I suggest cropping it from the bottom until you achieve the image which you find most pleasing.
01-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I like the first one much better. The second pic seems confusing with the vegetation which is too dark and muddy to be interesting. The silhouette effect is interesting with the bench and chain fence. I'd play with that area to maybe darken it to strengthen the effect. As I looked at it, I also cropped off the top of the sky in #1 to make the sky and reflection equal. I like it cropped, but it's just my opinion, nice picture.

01-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #8

Original Poster
Let's try these versions... I've cropped out the "human items" and some of the clouds that were not reflected in the water.

The top photo was the one on top of the two I previously posted and the bottom photo is the one beneath it that had the vegitation in the bottom left corner.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio P80  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio P80  Photo 

Last edited by whitelotus9; 01-12-2013 at 07:53 PM.
01-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I like both! Now they are a little more abstract without the 'human elements', & the emphasis is on the clouds & reflections. You might hear more comments about the horizon being right in the middle. This feels less obvious to me in the 1st one. It really is a cool reflection.
01-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I really like the crops. #2 is my favorite but #1 reminds me of watching the old 3 screen Cinerama Movies as a young kid. Beautiful Pictures both. Keep taking pictures.