Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cliff

http://www.mosphotos.com/Adam/cliff2small.jpg

I happened to take this landscape photo while out on a review shoot, and I really like the way the sky turned out. In fact, I'm considering getting a large print of it. It doesn't look good unless viewed in a fairly large size, though, which is why I'm linking a 1920px version above. Please open it before commenting.

I'd very much like to hear what you think about the photo overall, as well as how you think it could be improved (feel free to make edits). The only thing I don't like about it is the right edge (the mountain feels too big), but there's not much that can be done about it. Here's the original crop so you can see what I have to work with:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah I agree with you in that it feels a bit heavy on the right. I keep wanting to pear around the left to see more of whats in the Valley.

I feel the weight is settled when the image is mirrored leaving the valley on the right. My eye naturally follows the road around and off the cliff :P

But still, put me out of my misery, what was in the valley? :P

I know you like the sky, I like the relationship of the road to the corner and the mystery of whats around below it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 

Last edited by tromboads; 01-09-2013 at 08:33 PM.
01-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd very much like to hear what you think about the photo overall, as well as how you think it could be improved (feel free to make edits). The only thing I don't like about it is the right edge (the mountain feels too big), but there's not much that can be done about it. Here's the original crop so you can see what I have to work with:
Yup. Right side overwhelms the image. I tried cropping just to the right of where the brush/scrub/bush reaches the top of the image. But then the aspect ratio seemed wrong. I'd try progressively cropping from the right to see what feels best.
01-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
smf
Pentaxian

Cliff

Crop somewhat like this, perhaps?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
01-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
This is less drastic than what I tried, and thus I like it better, although I found on this image that unless you view it full size, the effect of the cropping can be misleading.
01-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Adam

Cropping it thus would possibly make it too small for a large print (don't know the original format) but this to me is the only way out of the dilemma.
You still retain all the essential elements of the shot you like. (More or less).

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 02-16-2013 at 01:51 AM.
01-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
I'll take a look at this- looks pretty good based on the thumbnail!

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi Adam Cropping it thus would possibly make it too small for a large print (don't know the original format) but this to me is the only way out of the dilemma. You still retain all the essential elements of the shot you like. (More or less).
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try this, though I have a feeling that although the rest of the composition is sound in this crop, the sky won't flow as well because the lines aren't disappearing into the upper-left corner.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My take...

Adam,

I would like to see something done to bring out more detail in the sky. I also like the previous cropping suggestions. Here is my take on it - bringing out more detail in the sky and warming the tone a bit. Take this with a BIG lump of salt though - I'm no expert, and am somewhat color blind so the colors may be goofy!

I like the picture too because of the ripple pattern in the clouds.

-Joe-
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
01-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
I would like to see something done to bring out more detail in the sky. I also like the previous cropping suggestions. Here is my take on it - bringing out more detail in the sky and warming the tone a bit. Take this with a BIG lump of salt though - I'm no expert, and am somewhat color blind so the colors may be goofy!
Hi Joe,

I think this is the right way to go also, though we can't have that glow effect along the edges! Here's what I've come up with so far based on everyone's suggestions:
Attached Images

Adam

01-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
And here's a slightly tighter crop of the original based on SMF's suggestion:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 

Adam

01-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Joe,

I think this is the right way to go also, though we can't have that glow effect along the edges! Here's what I've come up with so far based on everyone's suggestions:
Adam,

The glow is because of a VERY quick edit (just a minute or so with Sagelight - was not very careful).

I like this version better than the tighter crop. The slope of the cliff/hillside along the diagonal of the frame seems more natural than the cropped layout.

Looking good!

-Joe-
01-20-2013, 02:43 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Joe,

Definitely like this modified version (the 9:07am post). Follows the rule of thirds better in its composition. It makes what's around the road bend the initial point of interest, and then the eye subsequently moves out to explore the sky and the cliff face.
01-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It was -4F today, my motorcycle has been parked for two months, and you post this?

I do like the wider shot, I'm just trying to figure out why the foreground seems soft.
01-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
I do like the wider shot, I'm just trying to figure out why the foreground seems soft.
Could be the scaling, or just an illusion...it's definitely kosher in the full size pic.

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Definitely like this modified version (the 9:07am post). Follows the rule of thirds better in its composition. It makes what's around the road bend the initial point of interest, and then the eye subsequently moves out to explore the sky and the cliff face.
You mean post #9? For me it shows 6:37 PM

Adam

01-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You mean post #9? For me it shows 6:37 PM
The one where you lead in with Hi Joe.

The time stamp is probably adjusted for local time ( Australia) in this case.