Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2013, 03:28 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ocean surf lighting
Lens: smc PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Camera: Pentax K20D Photo Location: Bandon, OR ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F8 

Greetings, all:
Last month I shot the following, along with several other attempts at catching the wave breaking just right on the opposite bank of the jetty. This particular shot had the interesting "face" feature in the water spray. I've tried a couple different versions, editing althernately very lightly, and editing using the curves adjustment in Aperture to accentuate the contrast, so far this is the one I like the best. My questions are as follows:

1. The sky texture seems kind of grainy. Am I right, or am I being over-sensitive to it.
2. In this version I cropped, but left the bird in the upper left. Is he big enough to factor in the effect of the photo, or should I axe him?
3. the brightest highlights of the waves are blown out a bit - does this detract from the photo?

4. and of course, lastly, what do you think?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
01-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #2

The sky is dark, frighting with rain/thunder. They "grainy" you're talking about isn't really bothering for me. The waves ended up like this when you took the photo, the waves aren't another distraction for me, it makes the photo better. The only thing that bothers me a bit is that there's a part of a black stone at the end(left) which likes another bird.
01-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by groesener Quote
1. The sky texture seems kind of grainy. Am I right, or am I being over-sensitive to it.
oversensitive :-)
QuoteQuote:
2. In this version I cropped, but left the bird in the upper left. Is he big enough to factor in the effect of the photo, or should I axe him?
Leave it in

QuoteQuote:
3. the brightest highlights of the waves are blown out a bit - does this detract from the photo?
no
QuoteQuote:
Nicely dramatic.
01-13-2013, 12:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Neptune arising from the briny deep, I just hope he isn't ticked off. Great capture Glenn. If it was mine I would take a little off the top, but that is just me. Thanks for sharing. Cliff

01-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Ooooh.... pretty
I like it. Nice contrast, great colour, with the greenish water/dark sky/sunlit wave, nicely shaped spray. Horizon on a third-line.
I don't see bothersome grain, but then I don't have a really sophisticated or large computer screen. Don't worry about it.
No, keep the bird. He adds the finishing touch -- little creature out there alone over the big sea...
For a lover of the sea, this shot makes me wish I was on that beach with MY camera
01-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Neptune arising from the briny deep, I just hope he isn't ticked off. Great capture Glenn. If it was mine I would take a little off the top, but that is just me. Thanks for sharing. Cliff
Ha! Not as far fetched as you might think. This day there was nearly 70mph winds, and just a wild day in the surf. Kind of a "bare your teeth to the wind" sort of day, complete with a mouthful of sea foam blowing over the jetty.
01-14-2013, 04:14 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree there is grain/noise in the sky but I don't think it to be a major problem. 'Topaz Denoise" does a pretty good job of cleaning it up. Also I agree with Cliff, keep the bird, it appears to right in the line of sight of "Neptune" Crop of the top certainly and perhaps a bit on the left as well to emphasise both Neptune and the bird.

01-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

what do you think?
That it's, aesthetically, a sound image.

You have a lot to work with and more could be made of it with a bit of tweaking.
I leave it up to you as to exactly what to do but leave the damn bird in - it's a picture of life within the context of nature. Take it out and and the image loses context.
It's a picture of a bird in it's environment not a picture of the environment that happens to have a bird in it.

Work on it further and post back here when you have something more.
01-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
smf
Pentaxian

Congratulations on the image, and thanks for posting it.

You might want to consider cropping down from the top. Doing so might reduce or eliminate any objection you have to the bird. (However, it also changes the message of the original photo.)

The sky's grain doesn't bother me at this size, but it might if the photo is significantly larger.

I wouldn't tamper with the wave color.

I agree with the comment about the black stone left of center.

Best wishes, and I hope to see more of your work.
01-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Sky looks fine to me, grain not an issue at all...

The bird provides a nice bit of scale to the size of the waves, and a bit of something in the sky to balance those lovely waves. Definitely leave it in.

Any blown highlights in the waves are not really noticeable to me. Wouldn't worry about 'em...

Love the shot!

Jim
01-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'd leave alone, I really like it the way it is, could almost be a Scottish summers day.

Print it large and hang it on the wall in your home, enjoy.
01-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I'd leave alone, I really like it the way it is, could almost be a Scottish summers day.

Print it large and hang it on the wall in your home, enjoy.
I've long wanted to visit the land of my heritage. Almost got to while in the US Navy submarines, but the boats I was on didn't go to Holy Loch. If your place has lots of times like this, then I simply MUST find a way to go!
01-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #13

Greetings, all:
Last month I shot the following, along with several other attempts at catching the wave breaking just right on the opposite bank of the jetty. This particular shot had the interesting "face" feature in the water spray. I've tried a couple different versions, editing althernately very lightly, and editing using the curves adjustment in Aperture to accentuate the contrast, so far this is the one I like the best. My questions are as follows:

I think this is a beautiful shot. Great color, contrast and composition. The bird and the rock don't bother me and I have no problem with the blown bit. I do find the grain a bit distracting (would probably suit a B&W version better). I wonder if the grain is a result of processing, but in any case this is a very effective image - reef the sails!!
02-04-2013, 04:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Like this picture as is. Well done!