Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Maternity
Lens: smc Pentax-DAL 18-55mm AL Camera: K-x Photo Location: Gran Canaria, Spain ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/150s Aperture: F11 

One of a maternity photo session.
Shot against a fabric black background gently drooped down and across the floor under the model.

One Nikon Sb-25 speedlight was used in a Westcott shoot through umbrella held above model.
Pentax 18-55mm kit lens was used at 26mm.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
01-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Your control over the black levels is impressive. I like the composition, it's different, I feel it's not obvious that she's pregnant however.
01-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, its really great, I love it, but it took a while to notice her tummy. Not sure if the subtlety was planned, but really nice composition and tones
01-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your input!

Thank you both for your observations. It is so good to get an objective opinion on one's work.
The model was very much pregnant.....part of the thinking behind this pose was to focus on the woman's fitness so late in term and with a pilates/healthy lifestyle message. Perhaps this is why the belly doesn't stand out as much as a traditional maternity portrait? Also, while laying on her back...gravity does play a role in diminishing the size of the belly. Try this pose a few times yourself and you'll quickly see the core strength of the model---and we do it without a fully developed child in there!
Thanks again for your professional observations. They will be helpful next time around.
ProVista

01-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ProVista Quote
The model was very much pregnant.....part of the thinking behind this pose was to focus on the woman's fitness so late in term and with a pilates/healthy lifestyle message.
Ah, yes, the "fitness" message did get through. One more thing to keep in mind is that we see the photo on a small computer screen, so if I would see a large print I might actually understand it better/faster. The thing is, I did think "fitness, yoga, pilates" when I saw it, but since its not a typical "pregnancy" photo, that part took a while longer. So in that regard the photo is good, its a contrast and it makes people think
01-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very Impressive pic! Well done !
01-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

fantastic shot, no critique from me
01-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pic belongs in the Exclusive Gallery !

01-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #9

that's one of the better pregnancy photos i've seen.

that's also not saying much. the studio work is well done and the first post was right on w/r/t controling levels.

i suppose a useful crit would be to brace her neck with a pillow so her face is tilted up toward the camera so it's a bit more personable. as it stands there's no clear point for the eye to go on account of the negative space. a visible face would help.
01-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a very impressive image.
Guidoanselmi makes a good point about the face tilt.
I hope to see more of your photographs.
Best wishes.
01-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Very cool! Well done!

Its a very geometrical composition. As such, the only nits I see are that the camera POV is slightly to the left of the centerline of her torso. I'd line it up precisely along that line. And her hands are not posed symmetrically.
02-05-2013, 02:25 AM   #12

Great concept and execution. The only niggle would be to have lit the right arm a bit more, since there is a slight fall-off, just to keep the whole idea of symmetry going. Ditto about the hands as well.