Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2013, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Detroit River
Lens: Pentax 18-135 WR Camera: Pentax K-30 Photo Location: Detroit ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F5 

I can't decide how much river i should include in final crop? Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recommend cropping just above the silver metal object closest to the camera.
01-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
I recommend cropping just above the silver metal object closest to the camera.
yes, the top of that bollard is quite distracting. Before cropping, perhaps try to remove some of the distortion that has the smokestacks tilting off to the right. The white balance is a little cool - since the bulk of the white boat is in the shade, consider warming it up a bit.

As for how much of the river, I'd leave that up to whatever aspect ratio you prefer for display or print. Here's a 4x6 with the distortion removed and the white balance warmed up a bit.

Last edited by grainbelt; 01-18-2013 at 10:35 AM.
01-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks a tad too yellow to be now, maybe somewhere in between, but if the film forums are any indicator warm vs. cool will bring critics to blows so nothing is really "right". That silver bit in the front does indeed have to go, the right side is frustrating because normally I would say include more there so the boat isn't crowding that side of the picture so badly but that damn red emergency pole is already threatening to steal the show in an otherwise mildly colored image.

01-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, everybody for pp advices. I try to implement you your adjustments, hopefully, it didn't look too red.

Cheers
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by pavpen; 01-19-2013 at 08:03 PM.
01-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks good actually. If you had a full copy of photoshop with all the fancy tools I would say to also remove the big red hoop of the pole that is still sticking into the frame. I forget the tool that does that sort of work rather perfectly since I am too poor for the real photoshop.
01-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It looks like there was room on the pier to just take one step forward and one step (just one!) to the left
and eliminate all intruding problem objects right there.

Scott Kelby preaches something he calls "border patrol", which is a good practice:
Before you press the button, consciously scan the viewfinder borders for unwanted branches,
wires, lamp posts etc.

Regards,
--Anders.

01-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In your Post you might want to try a mid range contrast on your back ground, just to bring it up a bit. I'm not saying you'll like it more, but you might want to just give it a look. Thanks for the image, I used to live near the Canadian side of the bridge, so that's my old stomping grounds.
01-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Looks good actually. If you had a full copy of photoshop with all the fancy tools I would say to also remove the big red hoop of the pole that is still sticking into the frame. I forget the tool that does that sort of work rather perfectly since I am too poor for the real photoshop.
Thank you P... for idea. Yes, i'll try to do this when i'll have more time.
01-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
It looks like there was room on the pier to just take one step forward and one step (just one!) to the left
and eliminate all intruding problem objects right there.

Scott Kelby preaches something he calls "border patrol", which is a good practice:
Before you press the button, consciously scan the viewfinder borders for unwanted branches,
wires, lamp posts etc.

Regards,
--Anders.
I see what you are saying, i try to move as far as possible to Lt.
01-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
In your Post you might want to try a mid range contrast on your back ground, just to bring it up a bit. I'm not saying you'll like it more, but you might want to just give it a look. Thanks for the image, I used to live near the Canadian side of the bridge, so that's my old stomping grounds.
Yes norm, i thought about bringing up the bridge and river but i'm not sure how to do this in PP. I also lived for 13 years in Detroit suburbs.
« RED | Anguish? »