Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
RED
Lens: Sigma 17-70 Camera: k-7 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F8 

This shot is to be printed and framed. My initial impulse is to crop some of the black area from the top; now I'm not so sure.
I would appreciate any opinions or comments.

Attached Images

01-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I'd crop it too, the light and dark area at the top of the picture holds little interest for me, but cropped to a landscape aspect ratio I like the picture of the red siding in the sun and stone in the shade.
01-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The crop will depend largely on print size...
01-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. RE: print size. My feeling is to print the shot fairly large - say at least 16 x 20. Of course the aspect ratio will depend on how I finally decide to crop. I am adding a copy of the likely crop.

Attached Images

01-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This all comes down to personal preference, naturally. I'd consider cropping out both the white building in the lower left and the white utility box hanging at the very bottom of the frame.

To my eye, the central red element also lists to the left a degree or two. The image opened much brighter in PS, not sure why, but here is a suggestion of a crop that retains the central elements while removing some distracting ones, at the aspect ratio you posted.

Food for thought, anyway. It is a rather interesting image, particularly the various angles and overhangs. My mom would want to vacuum the bugs out of that light fixture constantly.
01-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to be honest, the lamp at the top does nothing for the picture. It's pretty gross looking, but the rest of the shot is nice, the red and the brick building. Wonder if it's salvageable after cropping.
01-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
I have to be honest, the lamp at the top does nothing for the picture. It's pretty gross looking, but the rest of the shot is nice, the red and the brick building. Wonder if it's salvageable after cropping.
Thanks for the comments. The bugs in the light certainly are gross (Yukky to my granddaughter!) but to me the white shape of the lamp adds to the shot.

01-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
This all comes down to personal preference, naturally. I'd consider cropping out both the white building in the lower left and the white utility box hanging at the very bottom of the frame.

To my eye, the central red element also lists to the left a degree or two. The image opened much brighter in PS, not sure why, but here is a suggestion of a crop that retains the central elements while removing some distracting ones, at the aspect ratio you posted.

Food for thought, anyway. It is a rather interesting image, particularly the various angles and overhangs. My mom would want to vacuum the bugs out of that light fixture constantly.
Thank you very much for your suggestions and the crop. I must say I debated about the white building and finally decided to leave it in. It was definitely 'the various angles and overhangs' that attracted me. I am partial to unusual points of view, Dutch angles and that sort of perspective confusion.