Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2013, 05:15 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
winter medium
Camera: PENTAX K-5 II s ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F6.7 

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/41-photo-critique/156148d1358684074-people-winter-medium-.jpg

Attached Images

01-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That looks cold!

As far as critiques go, I think I would start by trying a closer crop.

I tried playing around with the photo a bit in lightroom (hope you don't mind). All I did was crop it, add a bit of clarity, saturation, and a subtle vignette (also it looks like my conversion to JPEG lost a bit of the original image's sharpness...please try to overlook that). I am by no means a master at photo editing, so there may be other on this forum that have better ideas.
Attached Images

Last edited by kswier; 01-21-2013 at 08:15 AM.
01-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
Inactive Account

That's a super-compelling image! It makes me think "what the heck is that guy doing?!?!?" Are there people around? Is this some sort of group thing? Or does he go out and do this by himself? The frozen ladder makes me think this is a well-planned activity. I wonder what the necklace he is wearing says. I wonder how far away his clothes and shoes are.

On something like this, I see more of a "photo-journalistic" shot than anything else. I think its wonderful.

So, who is this guy and what's the story?
01-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Omaha Quote
That's a super-compelling image! It makes me think "what the heck is that guy doing?!?!?" Are there people around? Is this some sort of group thing? Or does he go out and do this by himself? The frozen ladder makes me think this is a well-planned activity. I wonder what the necklace he is wearing says. I wonder how far away his clothes and shoes are.

On something like this, I see more of a "photo-journalistic" shot than anything else. I think its wonderful.

So, who is this guy and what's the story?
great Orthodox Epiphany is considered if at Epiphany dip in the hole, you can get rid of many diseases.
This is the case ...The guy went into the water, and hopes that he will be all right .Vokrug had a lot of people, but I deliberately took his only shot. Here I see the unity of man and nature ... Thank you!

02-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photo critique aside, my first reaction on looking at this image is, what is wrong with people, why would you get in there in the first place, where's the medical team and the emergency evac helicopter.

This image is a good piece of photojournalism, but does require your explanation about Orthodox Epiphany to make sense of the situation. Thought provoking images always appeal to me, very well seen.

This would also make a great image for a "missing caption" competition.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 02-03-2013 at 05:37 AM.
02-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #6

The overcast sky and shaded light plus the overall blueishness adds to the chilling effect of this photo. I think it should be put on display on a hot summers day, say in a restaurant or coffee shop, when the thought of a dip in fridged water would be inviting.

This photo has impact and anyone who views it feels it. Causes me to scoup the ice out of my scotch and soda!
02-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stepmac Quote
The overcast sky and shaded light plus the overall blueishness adds to the chilling effect of this photo. I think it should be put on display on a hot summers day, say in a restaurant or coffee shop, when the thought of a dip in fridged water would be inviting.

This photo has impact and anyone who views it feels it. Causes me to scoup the ice out of my scotch and soda!

Thank you! :: LOL: ... I'm an amateur and do not sell pictures, but I like your idea: : LOL:: LOL:: LOL:

Last edited by kombat; 02-05-2013 at 05:56 PM.